Esteemed Contributor

Re: FDA Report On Diet And Heart Disease In Dogs

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  I thought this was timely information because of the other post (if it's the one I'm thinking of where this wasn't the main topic of the post).  Some people may not know this.  I gathered from this article that meat could be the main ingredient and these just another one of the top five or so main ingredients.  Some of us feed very high quality food while not feeding raw.

Need to look at the source of the protein

I didn't mean for this to get into an argument or even a discussion about feeding a raw diet vs. dog food.  I'm sorry this has turned in that direction.  While I will never feed raw I respect those who have made the decision to do so.  I just intended it to be an informative post.

It was not a discussion about a raw food diet.  Raw feeders know that the protein needs to come from meat, not plant based products.  Dry/can dog food feeders need to make sure that the protein source is meat in that food.  The fact that plant based protein sorces are present is irrelevant if the manufacturer is not including that as a major source.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I just saw this report this morning. One of our dogs is on script food, but I've fed the other one grain-free for years. She had been eating Nulo for the past two, and the different formulas often have peas or lentils as part of the main ingredients. We recently had to take her to the vet for a digestive issue, and I took the ingredient list of her food in case he wanted to see it, which he did.

As soon as he saw that it had lentils as a main ingredient, he asked us to try a different food without them (Science Diet Active Longevity 7+). He said he's seen several dogs with digestive issues that have been fed foods with lentils and peas. He also prescribed a vitamin tonic, and the two together have completely eliminated her digestive issue. As a bonus, she loves the food, and she is so picky!

I know the FDA report concerns heart disease, but according to our vet, the lentils cause digestive problems, too.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

I just saw this report this morning. One of our dogs is on script food, but I've fed the other one grain-free for years. She had been eating Nulo for the past two, and the different formulas often have peas or lentils as part of the main ingredients. We recently had to take her to the vet for a digestive issue, and I took the ingredient list of her food in case he wanted to see it, which he did.

As soon as he saw that it had lentils as a main ingredient, he asked us to try a different food without them (Science Diet Active Longevity 7+). He said he's seen several dogs with digestive issues that have been fed foods with lentils and peas. He also prescribed a vitamin tonic, and the two together have completely eliminated her digestive issue. As a bonus, she loves the food, and she is so picky!

I know the FDA report concerns heart disease, but according to our vet, the lentils cause digestive problems, too.

@Ainhisg  That's interesting about the digestive issues with lentils.  I'm going to tell my friend to check her cat's food for lentils.  He has digestive issues.  She's tried many different foods, and she and her vet can't really get a handle on them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  WOW!!!!!  This is scary but such great information. Thanks so much for sharing!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   I emailed this article to my   dog's  cardiologist,  and asked his opinion.  I did check my dog's food and some of the formula's do have lentils.  I might change to Fromm now( which I use to use)  My currant brand is ONLY NATURAL PET power food. It has a 5 stare rating.... but now with this info on lentils... I may want to switch.  

I will let you know what ZaZu's cardiologist has to say back when I hear from him.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@NickNack   I emailed this article to my   dog's  cardiologist,  and asked his opinion.  I did check my dog's food and some of the formula's do have lentils.  I might change to Fromm now( which I use to use)  My currant brand is ONLY NATURAL PET power food. It has a 5 stare rating.... but now with this info on lentils... I may want to switch.  

I will let you know what ZaZu's cardiologist has to say back when I hear from him.

@SeaMaiden  I'll be very interested in hearing what the cardiologist says.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   I heard back from ZaZu's cardiologist.   He does seem to recommend a GRAIN CONTAINING DIET.  I have had both dogs on a grain free thinking that was best. Hmmmmmm.....  I need to make some diet changes perhaps?

Here is what he said:

This is certainly an issue we've been seeing a fair amount in this region, and cardiologists as a whole have been aware of for about a year now. Unfortunately, we're not 100% sure on why these diets are causing DCM in these dogs, but thankfully, most seem to respond to supplementation of taurine. Given the uncertainty, and based upon other cardiologists reports that it seems to be an issue with "grain-free" diets, I would certainly recommend they go onto a grain-containing diet.

In regards to Zazu, his echocardiogram with Dr. Woodfield thankfully showed no evidence of DCM and this diet issue should not be related to his underlying AV block that we've been discussing. But we certainly wouldn't want him to develop any issues from his diet if we can avoid it!

Honored Contributor

Thank you for reporting back on this @SeaMaiden.  That is so interesting.  My dog, Frankie, does not eat a grain free diet, but my cat does.  His food also contains peas.  I wonder if this info applies to cats as well.  He is such a picky eater.  I had a hard time finding a food he would eat.  I hate to start over, but if grain-free and peas are not a good thing I will.  I'll have to investigate this for cats.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

I think it wise to question the science diet food,  i feel their products are low quality.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack  I think this study was only done with dogs.  I have never heard of cats getting heart disease?