Honored Contributor

Re: FDA Report On Diet And Heart Disease In Dogs

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@NickNack  I think this study was only done with dogs.  I have never heard of cats getting heart disease?

@SeaMaiden  I know this study was only on dogs, but I just wondered if it would apply to cats too.  Cats do get heart disease, but it's rare.  I Googled whether grain-free food was good for cats because that's what I feed.  It said it's fine as long as their kidneys are healthy.  Cats develop kidney problems later in life though.  I think I'll discuss this with my Vet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I stopped a few years back feeding fromm,because of the peas,  they added,a way to save money on the food quality, dogs need protein ,give them fresh  beef, pork chicken,salmon i do this every day for 3 goldens.

@goldensrbest - OMG now I am really panicking.  I give my 2 year old Fromm the Beef Fritatta which has potatoes, peas and carrots mixed in.  I am seeing my Vet on Mon. for her Lime booster shot and will show this article to her.  I also give her a few peas and carrots (just a couple) which I am eating them as a treat as she loves vegetables.

I was thinking of switching her to another brand, but there are so many out there it is overwhelming and Fromm has such a good reputation.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I stopped a few years back feeding fromm,because of the peas,  they added,a way to save money on the food quality, dogs need protein ,give them fresh  beef, pork chicken,salmon i do this every day for 3 goldens.

@goldensrbest - OMG now I am really panicking.  I give my 2 year old Fromm the Beef Fritatta which has potatoes, peas and carrots mixed in.  I am seeing my Vet on Mon. for her Lime booster shot and will show this article to her.  I also give her a few peas and carrots (just a couple) which I am eating them as a treat as she loves vegetables.

I was thinking of switching her to another brand, but there are so many out there it is overwhelming and Fromm has such a good reputation.

@lovesallanimals  I feed Fromm Duck & Sweet Potato, and it doesn't have peas.  You can easily switch from one flavor to another in the Fromm line without mixing them together.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest    I also supplement my dogs food with extra fresh chicken, beef and salmon and catfish along with their dry food..  I do cook  the fish and the chicken....  The only meat I do serve raw is the beef heart. 

Frequent Contributor

I just recevied an email regarding the FDA investigation.  I noticed it says potatoes.  Does anyone know if that means sweet potoates too?  I have two bird dogs that require higher fat dog food.   A lot of the ones with higher fat contain sweet potatoes as a main ingredient.  One of the foods I use has sweet potatoes, peas, and then potatoes as the fourth, fifth, and sixth listed ingredients.  I am activley searching for a replacement.   

Respected Contributor

@Longhorn Gal

The information I have seen indicated it had to be a main source of protein.  Problem is that  you can not always tell what the main source of the protein is since splitting is common and some protein have the taurine deactivated. Back in 2009 this information came out and many dog food companies started adding taurine to the dog food to take care of this. It had happened in cats earlier and the taurine was added to cat food. So you need to check the ingredients and see if there is taurine added. You can also contact the dog food company and request the information.

doxie

Frequent Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

@Longhorn Gal

The information I have seen indicated it had to be a main source of protein.  Problem is that  you can not always tell what the main source of the protein is since splitting is common and some protein have the taurine deactivated. Back in 2009 this information came out and many dog food companies started adding taurine to the dog food to take care of this. It had happened in cats earlier and the taurine was added to cat food. So you need to check the ingredients and see if there is taurine added. You can also contact the dog food company and request the information.

doxie

Thank you @doxie1!!