Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@dulwich.  Exactly!  I thought maybe I'd cook up a big pot of rice and add some daily to the dog food...will that suffice?

@Kachina624   Dr. Karen Becker has stated that rice ferments in the dog's gut.  It also contains trace amounts of arsenic. 

It gets to be a dilemma.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs @Kachina624   I knew it (re rice) now what??

I read a comment about human food ‘everything in moderation’ (re food) so maybe we check contents of what we feed our dogs now - and if they are not full of ‘badies’ we make changes as required in moderation as it seems to me nothing can be perfect.  Then I read the latest reports......help!

Looking at my ‘babies’ they all look good, love their exercise, shiney coats and appear healthy as DH says they get more attention than him!

Best I can do.  Thanks for all the good comments and help.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@dulwich.  Exactly!  I thought maybe I'd cook up a big pot of rice and add some daily to the dog food...will that suffice?

@Kachina624   Dr. Karen Becker has stated that rice ferments in the dog's gut.  It also contains trace amounts of arsenic. 

It gets to be a dilemma.

@tends2dogs. @dulwich    How about some oatmeal?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It gets to be a dilemma.

@tends2dogs. @dulwich    How about some oatmeal?

@Kachina624  please see my posts.  Adding grains isn’t going to make the difference, to give any assurances against heart diseases in our dogs.  They need their Taurine levels checked and dealt with accordingly if they are found to be deficient.   

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the heads up O/P I am of course relieved about my dogs food not being on that dreaded list . I signed on about emails about this that will come pretty soon. And I will print out the list so I can show it to my friends and family. Again thank you!

Honored Contributor

Two of the foods ,i feed are on this list,  so been looking at kibbles, i decided on Farmina, they also get honest kitchen, and fresh food, just  really concerned about the acana, i have fed that and orijen,for several years,dog food companies must stop the grain free foods.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  @dulwich  The only thing I have read about oatmeal is that if you have a dog with allergies, it can be a problem....even if it is in their shampoo. 

This whole food thing has really been a problem with all the recalls for too much vitamin D.  I don't understand how this same problem can effect so many DIFFERENT brands.  Are they really just coming from the same factory?

I cooked for years.  Now I feed raw - no grains.  My dog has serious digestive issues and is on limited ingredients.  The recipe I used had grains.  It was called Spots stew.  20190210_182418.jpg20190210_182804.jpg

I used barley instead of oatmeal when I made this.  My dogs loved it.  I worked with a pet nutritionist and she came up with something similar to this, but I had to supplement with vitamins. 

It really shouldn't be this difficult, but when you start reading the horror stories of the pet food industry, it makes us more proactive in feeding our pets.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

It is the peas, legumes ,that is the problem, i think, they substitute these for protein , dogs need protein,meat,chicken eggs,

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

It is the peas, legumes ,that is the problem, i think, they substitute these for protein , dogs need protein,meat,chicken eggs,

Exactly.  

If we think about what a canine would eat in the wild, it's the whole animal. The whole animal also includes whatever the prey has eaten.  If the prey is an herbivore (which is often the case with prey animals), then there would be grassy foods partially digested in the stomach and the canine may eat that, too.

But nowhere in the wild would a canine be eating legumes for protein.

I do wish some folks would stop letting misleading lists inform their choices about what to feed their pets without understanding what is behind them.  @goldensrbest has done her homework.  Those brands listed all have multiple varieties of foods, as I already posted in my post with the ingredients of only two varieties of Fromm dog food.  Just because the FDA listed a brand, doesn't mean all varieties of that brand include legumes.

"Grain free" is the wrong term.  It should be "legumes substituted for meat protein" that is the problematic issue.  Meats already contain taurine.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach  @goldensrbest 

I remember researching this and being surprised that it started  a good tme ago. They did not use to add taurine to dog food so when dog food companies looked for cost saving measures of using  the peas, legumes etc. for protein it lowered the taurine levels due to less meat. The other thing that I found was there is no consensus on the level of taurine needed.

Well dog food companies started adding taurine to food but we are not sure avout the levels needed.

Some of my sources agreed that I could prevent problems if I just added protein a few times a week. So I steam chicken for the dogs for their snacks a few times a week as well as look at the dog food not having one of the [eas or legumes in the first 5 ingredients.

doxie