Respected Contributor

Our dogs had their yearly checkup last week.  The vet found the beginnings of a small cataract in one dog's eye (6 years old).  After extensive blood work to rule out diabetes or other health issues that might cause cataracts, our dog has a clean bill of health.  The vet mentioned Ocuvite as a possible future supplement.  When I got home, I emailed him, and he said that we could start our dog on something now...that it certainly wouldn't hurt anything...but he suggested buying a formulation for dogs and following the label.  

Even though I know that in humans, Ocuvite and other eye supplements mainly help macular degeneration, our dog has lipid diposits in his eyes, so he definitely has eye issues, and even though it may not do any good, I really would like to start him on something just in case it would help his eyes.

Does anyone have any recommendations of an eye supplement for dogs?

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg  I would email the vet and ask for specific recommendations.  I am hoping you find a remedy for your pup....you are such a good mommy!

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of giving dogs an eye supplement.  I can hardly afford Ocuvite for myself.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Does he have the type of cataract that affects his vision?  Most dogs get the type of cataract that doesn't affect their vision by a certain age.  If that's the type he has I wouldn't use a supplement.  I don't think I've had a dog that hasn't developed that type of cataract at some point.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Thank you, @phoenixbrd.  In my original email to him, I did ask about other things as when he made the comment during our appointment, he said "Ocuvite or something like that."  So his return email suggested, "to find a canine version of Ocuvite and to follow the directions the label gives you. It should be more pet friendly and easier to give."  He is an excellent, excellent vet whose common sense approach and caring have prolonged and saved many of fur babies' lives, but I don't think he's into the supplement realm as much as some vets.

I found a supplement on Amazon (OcuGlo) that gets rave reviews...but wow...it is $75 for a 3-month supply. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack, not yet.  The vet could just see the tiniest start of a cataract.  He drew it out on a piece of paper for us so we could see the size.  I just want him to keep his sight as long as possible.  I know all of the pet lovers on here understand!  Like I mentioned in an earlier post, he has lipid deposits in both eyes that have been hugely reduced by a low fat food.  He has always been the optimal weight, but his eyes don't filter cholesterol correctly, and it can build up in his eyes, so we monitor his diet very closely, and that aspect of his eye health is under control.

Honored Contributor

@AinhisgMy human experience with cataracts tells me I wouldn't jump to spend big money on a supplement unless there are clinicals that most supplements never give us.  -  My experience?  I had one cataract removed and we "watched" the one the doctor saw in the other eye for 14 years before removing that one just recently.  And I wasn't totally without vision before the surgury.

Valued Contributor

We have a little 12 lb dog who scratched her eye. Did a lot of damage but she is doing better. She has eye drops from the vet.but I started giving her the same eye supplement that I take.  I only give her half of one a day. Since I started it, about 2 weeks ago I have noticed her eye is looking so much better.  I know it hasn't been very long but I just wasn't seeing any improvement with just the drops till I started the supplement. I had surgery done on my eyes about a year ago & found out about these pills & started taking them. My doctor said my eyes are doing really good to keep taking them. So I thought I would try them on our girl. They are Andrew Lessman's "Ultimate Eye Support". Since your vet said Ocuvite or something like that, that's why I thought about these. I don't think there is a lot you can do to stop cataracts once they start.  But I want to try this anyway. I love his products & everything I have tried seems to be really good. Good luck with your babies.

Honored Contributor

Re: Eye supplement for dog?

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg   my honest opinion is that there is not a proven supplement to stop Cataracts in  people or dogs.. I am someone who uses a lot of supplements... and looked into this years ago.. I used many supplements for eyes for many years that were suppose to help prevent cataracts..... wore sunglasses all the time...  yet I still got cataracts at age 62  and had them removed  this past year.

As my eye doctor told me... it just happens... genetics... aging.... even children get them. 

Now there is an eye drop that Life Extensions says is to dissolve cataracts... called BRIGHT EYES... You can google it.  It uses a form of  N-acetyl=-carnosine which has shown benefits for dissolving cataracts.  On the bottle they say they are just eye drops for lubrication BUT  the drops are really formulated for cataracts... The FDA will not let them say that so they skirt the issue by selling the drops as just eye drops. 

You could try them. I never did try to dissolve my cataracts... I just  decided to have them removed. as they were pretty bad. Since your dog has just the very beginning why not try the drops for awhile?  Here is the info.  Amazon prime sells them too.

Brite Eyes III  

Sterile, lubricant drops support eye comfort

2 x 0.17 fl oz./5 ml vials (Net 0.34 fl oz/10 ml) 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden, that is amazing information; thank you!