Honored Contributor

Re: Experienced Bird Owner Question (Cockatiel)

@NickNack

Off Topic:

Your new avatar is adorable!💞

Respected Contributor

Okay!  Making progress. 

He would not eat the rice,carrot apple combo UNLESS I sprinkle millet on top.

He's chowing down, now!  LOL!

Theoretically, instead of throwing away the pellets, I could grind 'em up and sprinkle on top of "real" food too.

Thanks, bird friends!   Woman Happy

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

My 27 year old cocktiel will not eat pellets anymore.  He will only eat millet.

What happened?

@RinaRina   How wonderful you have a 27 year old Cocktiel... I just lost my 25 year old a couple of months ago...  They are so so precious!

I think  just like us as we age, some things agree with us and some things do not.. Millet is easy to digest and may agree with him now that he is an elder bird.  At this age just let him eat what he likes! More power to him.. At least he is eating.  If you are concerned about him not getting good nutrition like the pellets offered... look into adding some liquid bird vitamins to his water. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Would definitely take to a avian vet.  Beaks can become overgrown preventing proper eating.  None of my birds had any type of seed.  Pellets were used to supplement.  Always healthy fresh foods as their main diet.   

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

Neither of my Conures would ever eat pellets. They always get a small amount of good quality seed mix with  dried fruits and nuts, different seeds. I also give them diced up sweet potato, diced apple, sometimes diced carrot and mango. Diced hard boiled egg (I know, but avaian vet said it was a good thing). Also they get small cubes of toasted 5 seed bread every day. They love all the fresh fruits and veggies.

We add those same things to our dogs food as well, they go crazy over it.

I do agree to start with your avian vet to get a well check.

Respected Contributor

I would get him checked out by a vet.

If his beak isn't right (especially overgrown), they can have trouble picking  up pellets.

We tried different foods for my daughter's caique, but she really only wants "fruit blend." That is Zupreem and is a pellet blend.  She likes almonds for a treat.

She goes about every 6 weeks for a beak and nail trim!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I have raised cockatiels, (and  their babies). They do need their beaks trimmed. Your bird may be having trouble splitting the seeds, where millet is easier to eat.

Respected Contributor

Maybe ask a bird vet. maybe at his age his nutritional needs are different.  Millit is not healthy as a meal. It is meant as a snack only. Try maybe giving him fruit and veges at least. 

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  I think they get bored with their diet, just like we would if we ate the same thing everyday.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I am an experienced bird owner. First off I would take my bird to an Avian Veterinarian sooner than later. I also like to use Cheerios for a picky eater. I also use Harrison's Bird Bread Original. I bake it weekly for my birds and the love it. It is essentially a pellet formula. Good luck with this.