Esteemed Contributor

Re: Experience with diabetic cat?

@Andreatoo,  for your initial order your vet faxes the prescription to Roadrunner along with your contact information (name and phone number).  Roadrunner will contact you regarding payment and verify your address.  They prepare the prescription and ship it via UPS overnight or 2nd day air.

If your vet has authorized refills you can either call Roadrunner and order or you can order the refill online.  You just have to be aware that refills take about 5-7 days to get to you.  My cat's prescription is for 70 ml (70 days) so when I get to about 15 ml I order the refill just to allow for any delays, particularly weather this time of year.  The first prescription will arrive sooner.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo

@Marp  Sorry, I answered before seeing your response!

Not sure if you were asking me, but, yes, a compounding pharmacy is different than one that provides just over the counter meds.

The create the drug at the correct strength, but have the ability to suspend it in a flavored liquid or, in my case, a cream  rather than a pill.  It really depends on the medication.

If a cat is difficult to pill, sometimes a liquid is easier. 

Yes, they mail it to you and the RoadRunner pharmacy is quite fast.  Cannot even remember if I paid shipping, but it came quickly.

Hope it helps with your kitty.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds awesome ladies! She's not so difficult to pill really but making sure it's ingested isn't as simple.

I will definitely look in to it!

Is it much more expensive than the standard dosing?

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo, I don't think I can answer you about costs.  I would guess it is more than getting the pills from a regular pharmacy or your vet.  I don't recall the exact amount but Tea's prescription runs about $45 for a 70 day supply including the "free" two day air shipping (which we know is built into the product price).

I really find the price reasonable because I know she is getting a full accurate dose each time and if the dosage ever has to be adjusted it would just mean adjusting the .5ml up or down. 

Even for myself I don't trust that splitting a pill will give me an accurate dose of medication.  It is always possible that the medication is not dispersed evenly throughout the filler.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I had a diabetic cat (she lived to be 19), and right away, we switched to Hill's Prescription diet.  I think it was r/d.  It's used for weight loss or diabetics.  It is dry food you get from the vet.

Amazingly, my other 2 cats ate it without a problem!  You may want to consider it.

Hyacinth