Esteemed Contributor

Evolene is a tragic feral colony case that will soon have a very happy furrytale ending.

Because of how quickly she accepted humans after being trapped it is believed she was once an owned cat that was abandoned at the feral colony several years ago.  It is estimated that she is about 6 years old and has had many, many litters.

When trapped she was pregnant and emaciated primarily due to severe dental and parasite problems. Under care she gave birth to five kittens a little over two weeks ago but none survived in spite of heroic efforts to save each one.

This PSA (public service announcement) was posted on Tinykittens youtube chat that I am sharing for anyone that needs a point to argue for spaying/neutering. (I added the emphasis).

PSA:  Evolene is in heat. Evolene's dental/spay is on Monday. They can spay her even if she is in heat. Current plan is she will recover at Auntie Kimsies & they will start taking applications after the surgery is done. Evolene is a great example of why we spay/neuter. Not even 2 weeks after her last birthing, her biological mandate to procreate has already kicked in. Spay/Neuter!

If you know someone that is hesitant to get their cat spayed or neutered maybe this tidbit will be the push they need.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Regular Contributor

Thanks for posting this. I got hooked on tinykittens because of a post on this board.  Been watching since Sisko and has really been educational and motivational. Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

Thanks, so much, for posting this, @Marp.   There are many unsettling and distressing facts available about rapid procreation in un-spayed/un-neutered cats and also the horrific experiences of kittens born in the wild.   Here's just part of the story, from TinyKittens.com's Facebook page:

" One female cat and her offspring can produce 420,000 cats in 7 years.

Only 1 in 12 of those cats will be lucky enough to find a home.

Kittens can get pregnant as early as 4-5 months old.

The good news is, you can have a huge impact on the overpopulation crisis by spaying or neutering just one cat!

For example, imagine if Sugarplum and her six babies had not been rescued!   She would likely have had three more litters this year;  Her two female kittens from this litter, Praline and Truffle, would be pregnant with babies of their own as early as June;  Praline and Truffle's first litters of babies could be pregnant as early as December.   That's a lot of cats from just one un-spayed female in a single kitten season!

If you need help with a spay or neuter, contact your local shelter.   Most shelters have spay/neuter programs and can help you make it happen."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/be/30/29/be302953850dc85fb0dd0964456c4418.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/tinykittens/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I did not know they can go into heat 2 weeks after giving birth. I always thought it was 2 litters a year. I saw Shelly explain how she knew Evolene was in heat and I couldn't believe my eyes. It isn't a choice for them, it seems automatic. I truly believed that Evolene would not have been able to survive after this last pregnancy if she was out in the wild. Healing prayers that our girl will thrive after her spay and dental surgery today.

Honored Contributor

yahooey wrote:

I did not know they can go into heat 2 weeks after giving birth. I always thought it was 2 litters a year. I saw Shelly explain how she knew Evolene was in heat and I couldn't believe my eyes. It isn't a choice for them, it seems automatic. I truly believed that Evolene would not have been able to survive after this last pregnancy if she was out in the wild. Healing prayers that our girl will thrive after her spay and dental surgery today.

Greetings, @Yahooey.   Such a thoughtful post.   It breaks my heart to know what these little cats have to endure out in the wild.    The repeated pregnancies; woeful nutrition; and the vulnerability to disease, parasites, and predators...   it all depletes their bodies until they no longer can survive, and they and their babies perish under such unthinkable conditions.   It's so encouraging to know some of these little creatures are valued and rescued, isn't it.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova