Valued Contributor

Re: Escape Artist New Puppy: Recommendations Needed

@DCAnnie2004if her head is smaller than her neck( ie a Greyhound or my Beagle mix) they can lift up their front legs and slide backwards in a harness. 

I have to use a harness and a choke for my Beagle. 

I also have to use a chain lead as she was probably tied out in her other life and will eat through a leash.

IN AN EMERGENCY

Try lying down on the ground and crying or whining or sweet talking.  (NO eye contact)

This can help bring them back to you over chasing them.  They want to see what is going on and to lick you.

Super glad you got her back.

Honored Contributor

OH my!  Please get that baby a fitted harness.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

DCAnnie, can you visit a pet supply store that isn't a big chain store, more of a local independent store?  I find the best help and best quality products at such stores.  Anyway, I don't think there is a single harness I have ever seen in over 50 years of dog ownership that a dog cannot get out of with some wiggling.  I don't think any harness is safe for walking a dog on the street.  I prefer the sort of collars designed for sighthounds, they are often called martingale collars or limited slip collars.  They also work very well for my terriers, who tend to have very muscular necks, and can slip out of a normal buckle collar.  I buy mine from a catalog these days because I have been measuring and fitting such collars for decades, but for your first fitting, you should probably get help.  What I like about them is that there is no buckle or plastic snap to catch and tear hair on the dog's neck, and they are adjustable enough for me to loosen them when the haircoat gets longer, and then tighten as needed after a haircut.  I just slip the collar over the dog's head, then attach the leash, and off we go.  Good luck with your puppy, I hope you can find a good alternative to let you walk your puppy safely, it only takes a few seconds of running loose for a puppy to dash into a street and be hit by a car, it's a tragedy to be avoided at all costs.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, everyone. This is all great food for thought.

She's a Shih Tzu mix, so her head is wider than her neck. She weighs 12 pounds and won't get too much bigger. She did manage to slip backwards putting her front paws through the leg openings. 

I ordered a Martingale collar, but when it came, it looked so big and thick that I was afraid to keep it on her (it was from UpCountry). Is there a brand better for smaller dogs with smaller necks? She has a lot of hair.

I did just measure her girth and she's about 15.5". I ordered one of the Lupine harnesses just to give that a try.

I'm willing to try everything. I know the training will help, but I'd like to stack as many cards in my favor as I can.

Super Contributor

Thanks, Camille. I have to admit, I was in Pet Smart on Saturday and was not too impressed by everything I saw in there.

We do have a local 'mom and pop' small chain pet store nearby. They are the ones who originally sold me the Gooby.

I need to take her in there and see if we can find a better recommendation.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

We babysat my brother's collie for a year. The first time we took him to the Vet. They took him in the back room to weigh him. The tech and dog went to the right. Ten seconds later the collie walked past us to the left sans collar.

We learned quickly. And went out and bought a Martingale collar. We now have a collie of our own and have had no trouble.

@drizzellla. Collies slip out of collars easily because their heads are smaller than their necks.  The Martingale collars are a god-send for collie owners or the owner of any dog that readily slips his collar, like my sheltie.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

We use a Walk Your Dog With Love harness on our Shih Tzu Poodle mix. Works great, easy to put on. Good luck and congrats on your new puppy!!

Respected Contributor

DCAnnie, I ordered the martingale collars for my Cairn and Scottie from "In The Company of Dogs" and had them embroidered with their names and my cell phone number, so even if the tags came off, the collar still has some ID on it, besides their microchips.  The collars are nylon webbing and very light and flexible, I hope you can find something similar.  When I measure a terrier's neck, I measure right up behind the ears with a flexible tape measure, and try to buy a collar that goes as small as 2" smaller than the circumferance of their neck, and up to 4" larger.  Of course, depending on the measurement you might have to get a collar that only goes 1" smaller, but you do want to get one that will tighten up enough so that there is very little chance the dog can pull out of the collar.  Generally, I don't recommend that the dog wear a martingale collar 24/7, I only use them for walking.  If your dog needs to wear a collar all day long, you want a buckle collar that is big enough so that if the tags get caught in a fence or between deck boards, the dog can pull out of the collar without strangling itself.  Good luck, let me know if there's any other help I can offer, and congrats again on your newest furry family member.

Esteemed Contributor

I always have German Shepherd dogs and one Husky. They can be fast and tricky. I use a harness and a collar with a two leash system on them. I prefer a colar with a lease because I think you have better control. My dogs have been able to slip out of the harness in under 30 seconds.  I purchased the harness that QVC has and it works much better. I still use the collar on my dogs. I would recommend the collar and lease system for you. That fear when they get loose is overwhelming. I'm glad you had help in catchin your puppy.