Valued Contributor

Hi!  Does anyone have any suggestions on entertaining cats in an effort to keep them healthy physically and emotionally?

We adopted a kitty we fostered.  She is about 3 yrs old.  

Thanks for any suggestions!

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23 wrote:

Hi!  Does anyone have any suggestions on entertaining cats in an effort to keep them healthy physically and emotionally?

We adopted a kitty we fostered.  She is about 3 yrs old.  

Thanks for any suggestions!

My experience has been cats that entertain themselves by knocking over things, climbing the drapes, lounging on the stovetop, jumping on the dog, chasing imaginary things around the house, attacking the feet of anyone napping on the sofa, swinging on the tablecloth, and "fishing" in our aquarium.  

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23  My cat loves to play.  I buy her toys that have something attached to a wand that I can hold and the end part moves and she loves to play with that.  My cat will fetch and bring her toy to me and she knows the names of her toys.  I do not feed my cat treats.  First of all she does not like them but her weight is very important to me.  I like her to be in range of her weight for her breed.  She is a Tonkinese.  The worse thing to do is give your cat table food and a bunch of treats.  Fresh water and dry food is all she needs.  Play with your cat a little each day or even 2x a day.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Entertaining cats ?

[ Edited ]

@Julie_23 

What a wonderful thing you've done, giving your foster cat a permanent home!

It's not true that cats can entertain themselves all the time...you need to keep them engaged in play that mirrors their instincts to chase, capture and "kill" their prey for them to stay healthy mentally and physically. It also bonds you more deeply to them.

Do a little experimenting with a variety of toys. Ours over the decades have enjoyed wands with creatures (usually catnip scented) that you dangle and make them run and leap to catch. Others like balls that crinkle or are like ping pong balls with rattles inside. Use toys through which you can create a "hunt" for them.

A few well placed catnip stuffed mice or fabric covered shapes come in handy when you're not home. Yet crumpled up foil or newspaper, or the inner cardboard tube has sent many of our kitties into a frenzy once tossed down the hall. You might consider a kitty perch underneath a window so your cat can check out what's happening outside , especially when you're not home. Our one cat loves to watch the deer, birds and especially the rabbits in our backyard...we call this watching "bunny tv."

Check out online articles by Jackson Galaxy...he goes into this a lot.  One thing he talks about and we've found as cat "parents" for almost 40 years is that cats whose guardians don't engage in enough play with them end up bored, listless and frustrated.

Cats are not as aloof and independent as many think. They crave interaction several times a day with their humans that keeps their kitty hunting skills honed and fun!

Valued Contributor

Thank you, @Sooner , @Katcat1 , and @Sammycat1 !!  Each of your replies was really helpful.  (And thanks @Sammycat1 for having shared so many great details!)

Please know I appreciate all of your input.

Esteemed Contributor

you may not think of this as typical 'entertainment' @Julie_23 , but include a few minutes of daily grooming with comb & brush.

Every morning I start the coffeemaker, and groom cats while coffee brews. Good for their coat, reduces hairballs and shedding around the house, and bonding for both off you.

Mine love nature programs on tv.

Any kind of critter is entertaining, be it bug, mammel, fish, or bird.

They also love looking at videos on my tablet.

Just Google 'Videos for Cats'.

Each will be fascinated by different toys. One bats rolling toys. Another wrestles stuffed animals. Yours may like you to shake dangling wands.

Mine also like pop-up cubes and crinkle tunnels.

A bird feeder placed outside a sunny window where your cat can lounge and watch the action will be appreciated too.

Respected Contributor

I loved playing with my cats.  Each one had their favourite form of exersize.  He liked chasing the laser pointer dot. (careful it doesn't shine in his eyes.)  and the feathers on a string. Again, careful he doesn't chew the string.  There was Always Something to get that boy in trouble!  She liked batting the crinkle balls and those spongy soccar balls the size of ping pong balls.  She'd lay in wait on the couch and pounce as I bounced them off the wall behind it.  You'll love having fun with them.  They'll love you even more for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a cat who loved playing wiht Q Tips.  He would catch them when thrown to him and then push them all around the house.  Several friends who saw him do that tried it with their cats and they also did the same thing with them.  There are so many fun cat toys availabe and many cats entertain themselves. 

Trusted Contributor

@Julie_23 

In addition to what the other posters offered, I would like to add (from experience with my several kitties) please be weary of what you have them play with; i.e., things they may chew & swallow.  Keep a close watch on string-type toys or anything of that nature.  Also, pieces of things they may find on floors, counters, etc.  Such as those plastic pcs. from tags on clothing that often fall to the floor or counter.  They'll kick them around & try chewing also.

In my opinion, the safer toys are the sponge type balls & mice, fleece type wands (I cut of the hanging feather at the end because they started chewing it & could have swallowed the feathers) & I would drag the fleece wand around the corners, etc.  They loved trying to catch it.  You'll find in time what they like.  

Also, it's good if you're able to have playmates.  My 2 wrestled with each other often.  I've had 2 sets of kitties & both sets did the same & chase each other.

Sorry if I went overboard of the possible warnings but just thought I'd offer them as they can be combined with playtime.

One thing for sure, they love the playtime & bonding with their parents.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions.  I'll just add that if you get any of the fishing rod type toys to interactively play with your cat, make sure you put it away in a cabinet after use.  The cat could try to swallow the string and hurt himself.

I have a bird feeder outside a window for my cat to catch.  I have a cat tree set up with a shelf right in front of the window.  He loves to sit there and watch the birds.  He also has lots and lots of toys. One thing he loves is called a Tower Of Tracks.  I think I ordered it from Amazon.  Chewy has it on sale for $9.59 right now.  This is what it is.  98978_MAIN._AC_SS190_V1539609160_.jpgHe loves it.

98978_MAIN._AC_SS190_V1539609160_.jpg

He loved little stuffed toys when he was younger.  I've ordered him quite a few felt toys from Etsy that he plays with all the time.  I do play with him for a little while every day, but he keeps himself entertained, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau