Trusted Contributor

Re: Embark DNA results for our rescue dog are in!

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Tribesters wrote:

We got a rescue dog in July. She’s so beautiful & such a good dog. Her paperwork said they thought she was an Aussie, Collie, Sheltie mix. Imagine our surprise when the DNA results came back that she is 100% Border Collie. 

@Tribesters 

I've had many Aussies and Border Collies, they're some of the smartest dogs, highly intelligent and easily trainable!

I've had mini Aussies too!

I believe Border Collies are considered to be the most intelligent of the breeds.  They are working dogs.  You'll have to get her a little backpack to wear when out walking!

Respected Contributor

Wow

I was thinking there is some corgie in there too!

Whatever she is I hope she brings you joy.

doxie
Regular Contributor

Wow, what a surprise!  I would have gone along with the mix given or maybe some corgi in there.  She looks like a sweet girl no matter what. 

We have said we want to do that with our Rescued/Adopted Shelter dog shown in my profile but so far have not parted with the money involved.  Always seems to go for other care and feeding and vet costs, etc. 

Valued Contributor

We got such a kick out of doing DNA tests on both of our dogs--one was shocking and one not so much.

We were told our present dog, Remy, was a Chihuahua (albeit a larger one)--he is a rescue from down south and came up to our local shelter up north for adoption. His DNA came back as 75% Chihuahua, 12.5% Min-Pin and 12.5% Shih Tzu. Not a huge shock.

However, our dog before Remy--her name was Gracie--she passed on in 2018---also adopted from our local shelter--looked and acted like a Jack Russell terrier. She turned out to be 50% Staffordshire Terrier--but the rest of her was a mix of Collie, Golden Retriever and Shih Tzu--and some other breeds that were too mixed up to analyze. Not one shred of Jack Russell in her! She was very much a terrier--liked to kill vermin such as mice and groundhogs.

We used a company called Wisdom Panel--cost was $75 each time. Got the kits through Amazon. Well worth the cost to know what our dogs are---especally for our vet who might treat a condition differently knowing the breeds in our dogs. Plus we were fascinated with the results!!

Honored Contributor

@Gracies Mom Beautiful baby!  Give a hug from me!Smiley Happy