Contributor

Good day!

My senior kitty (15 years) has IBS.Vet is treating with prescription food and Prednisolone.Worked for a few months but not anymore. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Thanks,

Baileys mom

Trusted Contributor

@portiemom 

Does her IBS manifest as diarrhea or constipation?

Pure pumpkin is really good for dogs/cats for tummy issues. Only need to give 1-2 tablespoons.

Make sure it is PLAIN pumpkin, not the pumpkin pie mix!

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonMom 

Yes, I agree pumpkin is amazing for cats and dogs. It's good for both diarrhea and constipation. 

Also, probiotics are good.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Honored Contributor

Mine was upchucking daily.  The blood test that indicates IBD came up negative, but an ultrasound indicated his stomach and intestinal lining is thickened, so they think it is either some sort of IBD or it could be cancer.  It would require a biopsy to determine which it is and I declined that. 

He is only on the special food which has helped tremendously.  They did suggest steroids, but unless it's available transdermally, I don't want to do that either.  He doesn't like to be handled unless it's on his terms and I didn't want him to start avoiding me.  

They did say that IBD can progress to cancer after which the special food would no longer be enough.  Not saying that's what's going on with your cat though. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Elderly cat with IBS

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear about your cat @Icegoddess . 

Pet illness is heartbreaking and sometimes less is more. We as pet parents know what is best for our little ones.

@portiemom and @Icegoddess 

Hope your kitties gets/feels better.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess,  if the recommended steroid is prednisone it can be compounded as a transdermal or liquid.  From your description of your cat the transdermal would be more appropriate.

Either you (or your vet) can check online compounding pharmacies and even some online pet suppliers like Chewy.

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.
Are you setting an example or being an example?
Honored Contributor

@Marp , thanks, I can check into that.  I think for cats prednisolone is preferred over prednisone.  Both have long-term side effects but prednisone's are worse for cats.  I previously had a cat on prednisolone (liquid) for asthma and I did have to have it compounded.  My vet chose the compounding pharmacy, and I would happily use them again although I can't think of the name off-hand.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Elderly cat with IBS

[ Edited ]

@portiemom 

@Icegoddess 

Ask your vet about a med called budesonide. It treats the problem at the source--the intestinal tract--without the harmful effects of prednisolone, which goes throughout the body and often causes problems, especially with older cats. Budesonide is targeted therapy.

Also, many vets advocate hydrolyzed protein diets, but the mechanism in them can actually cause diarrhea. we found that one out the hard way. Try instead a novel protein Rx diet such as one with duck or rabbit. A lot of IBS, unless an actual biopsy is done, is actually food intolerance.

Lastly, a drug named tylosin can help with the diarrhea aspect. Injectable cerenia can do wonders for intermittent nausea that is common with this.

As you can tell, we've walked a couple of miles in your shoes. Good luck!

Regular Contributor

Hello, all,

I have a cat struggling with the same issues. He won't eat pumpkin, for some reason. My vet recommended a tiny sprinkle of unflavored fiber powder on his food. I give him a packet of Delectables Lickables and mix the powder with it. He slurps it up.

I am going to check with the vet on the Budesonide.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions. This forum can be a treasure trove for information.

dragonfly

Contributor

Good morning!

She has diarhea.IT's pure liquid I will try adding pure pumpkin!!!! Thank you!!!

Baileys mom