Respected Contributor

Re: Ear Cropping

[ Edited ]

I love my ears just the way G*d made them!

Cropping can also disgifure the ears, leaving them scarred or bent.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Okay I shouldn't have posted on here because clearly it doesn't matter to you what those of us who help these dogs know and you have clearly have an agenda despite what other information you may be given. I will bow out of this "discussion". I should have known better to post on one of your threads anyway.

Valued Contributor

image.jpg

Regular Contributor

While I personally agree that ear-cropping and tail-docking are horrible practices, please consider that there may be more than meets the eye to the story of an individual dog.

I am an animal rescuer, and work primarily with pit bull type dogs. Many of these animals have their ears cropped in horrifyingly barbaric ways, that do not involve vets, surgical equipment, or even basic hygiene. The lucky ones find their way to rescues, foster families, and adopters who love and care for them despite their "crop jobs". 

Tail-docking is another practice that can be conducted in ways that cause disfigurement and permanent damage to animals. On the other hand, my rescue has cared for adult dogs who have had to have all or part of their tails surgically amputated for medical reasons.

When you see a cropped or docked animal, please consider that the person at the other end of the leash may NOT have been the one to choose that "look" for their dog. They may be loving a dog who might have been easily disregarded, discrimated against, or even killed because of their appearance.

Frequent Contributor

I've never understood why ear cropping and tail docking are required for some breeds at dog shows.  It would make a huge statement if that was stopped. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@k9mama wrote:

While I personally agree that ear-cropping and tail-docking are horrible practices, please consider that there may be more than meets the eye to the story of an individual dog.

I am an animal rescuer, and work primarily with pit bull type dogs. Many of these animals have their ears cropped in horrifyingly barbaric ways, that do not involve vets, surgical equipment, or even basic hygiene. The lucky ones find their way to rescues, foster families, and adopters who love and care for them despite their "crop jobs". 

Tail-docking is another practice that can be conducted in ways that cause disfigurement and permanent damage to animals. On the other hand, my rescue has cared for adult dogs who have had to have all or part of their tails surgically amputated for medical reasons.

When you see a cropped or docked animal, please consider that the person at the other end of the leash may NOT have been the one to choose that "look" for their dog. They may be loving a dog who might have been easily disregarded, discrimated against, or even killed because of their appearance.

@k9mama Thank you, exactly one of my points. I don't know how many people I've met who made judgements about me beause of the dogs I have and their cropped ears. I have actually been verbally attacked by some for this very thing when I have never in my life cropped an animals ears- only loved and cared for animals that have had it done, many poorly,  and then been discarded. I am happy some people understand this and thank you for all you do to help rescue animals.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Longhorn Gal wrote:

I've never understood why ear cropping and tail docking are required for some breeds at dog shows.  It would make a huge statement if that was stopped. 

Some breeds have quit requiring ear cropping and tail docking with either way being acceptable at shows.  Quite a few toy breeds have quit requiring it.  I, too, wish they all would, but at least it's a start.  Here's an article that I found about it.  I just glanced through it, but did notice quite a few that accept natural ears.  I couldn't find when the article was written.  I remember the announcer at Westminster commenting on one dog's natural ears.  I don't remember the breed though.   

http://www.stopthecrops.com/breeds.html

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

SO agree with you on cat declawing. It's amputation of the first knuckle on the paws. Imagine if your fingers were cropped that way? You'd have no sensitivity in your hands and that is what the cat feels.  Most vets really don't like the practice. When I would bring a new adopted cat to the vet for shots and they'd ask "do you want to declaw" I'd express my distaste for the procedure and they'd usually heave a sigh of relief. 

Anyone can train a cat to have THEIR place to sharpen claws. A cat tree, early on and the cat WILL leave your furniture alone. I've had multiple cats and once I started using a good sized cat tree, they never touched the furniture except to lounge on it and shed. 

Respected Contributor

@Campion wrote:

SO agree with you on cat declawing. It's amputation of the first knuckle on the paws. Imagine if your fingers were cropped that way? You'd have no sensitivity in your hands and that is what the cat feels.  Most vets really don't like the practice. When I would bring a new adopted cat to the vet for shots and they'd ask "do you want to declaw" I'd express my distaste for the procedure and they'd usually heave a sigh of relief. 

============

So, why do they ask in the first place?  Why not just not ask or .. not do it?

Because they're GREEDY.  And like prostit^tes, they'll do it for the money.

Disgusting!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Kitten declawing leads to felony charge for D.C. man

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/mike-debonis/post/kitten-declawing-leads-to-felony-charge-for-d...