Respected Contributor

Re: EXCESSIVE SHEDDING...SUPPLEMENTS??

@NickNack ...thanks, he certainly doesn't need more calories...whenever I add something I cut a bit of dog down.  I'll try an egg 1st...but I know it's probably his breed.   My last lab was a Silver and he hardly shed, had a soft downy coat, it was rare, but soooo cudly.   So when I got Gabriel I was surprised at the amount of shedding.  

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack ...thanks, he certainly doesn't need more calories...whenever I add something I cut a bit of dog down.  I'll try an egg 1st...but I know it's probably his breed.   My last lab was a Silver and he hardly shed, had a soft downy coat, it was rare, but soooo cudly.   So when I got Gabriel I was surprised at the amount of shedding.  

@Dazlin   I understand.  Frenchies shed a lot, too.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Drythe , the bathing definitely helps.  My friend is a groomer and she insisted that conditioner is also a must.   I had her groom him, with my help, but I paid her $75,  she has a her own professional shop.     Her high volume blower was amazing.  I prefer to bathe him outside because of the amount of hair that comes out, and I cover the drain if I do it inside, but no way can I catch all the hair. 

I'm in Florida, and it's a bit cool right now, so the hose water is too cold.   But, hes got a bath coming up soon, so it'll be inside.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   That's interesting that your groomer friend thinks conditioner is necessary for a short haired dog.  I've never used it but will consider it now.  Does she think it helps with the shedding?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , yes, she uses one specifically for shedding and shed control shampoo.   I purchased the shampoo, but I couldn't find the shed control in conditioner, so I bought regular oatmeal conditioner.   I guess it's helps moisturize their skin.