Esteemed Contributor

Re: E collars for dog training; pros? cons?

@151949 wrote:

We had an invisible fence - it only took one afternoon for our dog to get that the collar beep meant she was going to get a shock if she did not stop. After that within a few weeks we took the collar off and never used it again.She was border trained. We also used it to train her to heel with out a leash and never had to use the shock - all we had to do was hit the beeper.Yes, we used a professional trainer . Money very well spent, and this is how military and police dogs are trained.

Where we live now there is an alligator infested lake behind our houses and one of our neighbors is a professional trainer. He trained many people's dogs here to stay away from the lake using a shock collar. So what is more cruel - let the dog get eaten by an alligator or use a shock collar to train it to stay out of their reach and out of danger? When I hear what some of the neighbors here consider training a dog I really have to just SMH - "Oh Fluffy, no no , don't bite that person's leg he is our neighbor" as they wag a finger at the dog or "sh sh  Fluffy we aren't allowed to bark outside" OMG - get a clue.

You can train a dog to stay away from the lakes without using a shock collar. Just as you can teach a child without smacking them.  It is called paying attention and working with them.  Positive methods get positive results.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

We had an invisible fence - it only took one afternoon for our dog to get that the collar beep meant she was going to get a shock if she did not stop. After that within a few weeks we took the collar off and never used it again.She was border trained. We also used it to train her to heel with out a leash and never had to use the shock - all we had to do was hit the beeper.Yes, we used a professional trainer . Money very well spent, and this is how military and police dogs are trained.

Where we live now there is an alligator infested lake behind our houses and one of our neighbors is a professional trainer. He trained many people's dogs here to stay away from the lake using a shock collar. So what is more cruel - let the dog get eaten by an alligator or use a shock collar to train it to stay out of their reach and out of danger? When I hear what some of the neighbors here consider training a dog I really have to just SMH - "Oh Fluffy, no no , don't bite that person's leg he is our neighbor" as they wag a finger at the dog or "sh sh  Fluffy we aren't allowed to bark outside" OMG - get a clue.

You can train a dog to stay away from the lakes without using a shock collar. Just as you can teach a child without smacking them.  It is called paying attention and working with them.  Positive methods get positive results.

@CrazyDaisy  I agree!  People want quick and easy.  As a poster said, it takes time and patience to train a dog.  If you don't have either, don't get a dog.  This is a life long commitment when you take in a dog.  One should think long and hard before taking on this responsibility if they are going to do right by them.

I agree about the invisable fence being a negative form of training also.  I woud never trust it.  We have a lake behind our house in Florida and I would never think to open the door and let my dog out loose.  Our dogs have alway been on a leash when there is no fence.  It is called responsible ownership. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@151949  So how do you train the alligators to keep them from leaving the lake and coming into your yards? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949  So how do you train the alligators to keep them from leaving the lake and coming into your yards? 

Supposedly they are afraid of people and will not come up into the yards when anyone is around.We have had a couple who did and we had them removed.There is a 800 # that calls the fish & wildlife people to remove them.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  I agree!  People want quick and easy.  As a poster said, it takes time and patience to train a dog.  If you don't have either, don't get a dog.  This is a life long commitment when you take in a dog.  One should think long and hard before taking on this responsibility if they are going to do right by them.

I agree about the invisable fence being a negative form of training also.  I woud never trust it.  We have a lake behind our house in Florida and I would never think to open the door and let my dog out loose.  Our dogs have alway been on a leash when there is no fence.  It is called responsible ownership. 

And while you are being patient your dog can be dead. Seriously.

Esteemed Contributor

Never ever. They can cause so many bad things to happen. They really are only to be used to enforce commands already known. I think it is a lazy way out. Only thing that truly works is good old fashioned positive trainjng. It would have to be the last straw before I would try one.
Esteemed Contributor

Well first of all going fluffy no bite or so on is not trainjng. Those people are idiots.
New Contributor

Depending on where you live, rattlesnakes may not be the only poisonous snake around. Teaching your dog to avoid all snakes may be the safer option. An e-collar is simply another training tool and does not deliver a harmful amount of electricity. It is a tactile way to interrupt the dog's behavior and is similar to the "ssst" sound Cesar Milan uses effectively as a verbal cue. Sometimes the trainer's distance from the animal or a loud environment makes a verbal cue impractical, as in the case with hunting dogs. Certain breeds become so intensely focused that they literally don't hear you. E-collars are an excellent tool, but only if properly timed; timing is critical no matter how you correct the dog. And for those that believe that this is somehow painful to the animal, I suggest trying the product on yourself f.  I have. Even at the highest setting, the shock delivered is little more than what you experience with static in the winter. It is more the unexpected nature of it than the amount of voltage that alters the animal's train of thought. You are on the right track by seeking professional guidance and giving your new pet every opportunity to succeed in your home. Too many people would head straight back to the shelter. These discarded dogs deserve extra time and patience. 

New Contributor

Not sure how e-collar training is "lazier" than the positive training methods, since both heavily rely on correct timing to succeed. Personally, I would never completely eliminate ANY humane training tool if it meant that my animal wasn't reliably trained. Positive training methods rely on the dog finding value in a correctly timed reward, but many shelter animals have such a strong distrust of humans that they are reluctant to respond to rewards. And positive training frequently fails miserably in highly stimulating environments with multiple distractions. Then you need to consider the unique genetic backgrounds of breeds with high prey drive and/or those bred to work independently, like most terriers. The bottom line is, there is no"one size fits all" approach to effective dog training. An experienced professional will quickly recognize the best approach for the individual animal and utilize any number of humane tools and methods to help your pet become a well-behaved and safe member of your family. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I know a fellow who used a collar that vibrates rather than shock.  His dog is wonderfully trained! Is that acceptable?

The dog doesn't understand that his collar is controlled by a person.  Shock, vibration etc are cues to be obeyed, and your friend has trained his dog to obey his collar.

I want my dog trained to obey me.