Contributor

Re: E collars for dog training; pros? cons?

I would NEVER use or recommend using an ECollar. Postitive training is the ONLY method of training I would ever use. It may take a little longer, but the results are amazing. I don't know anyone that trains their dogs using that method of training, (ECollar). Do you want a loving pet, or a slave? My dogs love me and want to please me they are not afraid of me. There are many many great books on positive training. You can go to DogWise.com for information.

Honored Contributor

No vote for me as well on the collar

The dog needs lots of patient training, repetitious, consistent training.   By his human.    His human needs to become his pack leader.     Read some books, look at some videos.   

@SahmIam wrote:

Close friends adopted a pound pup (almost a year old- he's big, came from a situation where he was never trained the basic and well, he's sweet but a awful to deal with... walking him is a nightmare. ) and are having him trained by a husband and wife team who are both former military K-9 handlers (security and drug enforcement).  They work with many K-9 units as instructors and do private training on the side; there is a waiting list to become a client.

The cost is high but the results are 100% guaranteed and my friend has spoken to those who have trained under them and all have nothing but praise and respect for these trainers.

They use E collars. I remember hearing so many who were anti this but now I'm wondering. I wouldn't use one but in the hands of a professional, is it such a bad thing?

Respected Contributor

I wonder if those who use shock collars have ever tested them on theirselves to see how painful they really feel.  I'll bet not.  I had a great dane who grew to 175 lbs. and I only weigh 100 lbs. but I could take him anywhere.   Went to puppy trainng classes when he was young for basic training,  Then worked with a trainer who came to my home and we worked together - he showing me what to do and me actually training my dog.  Having someone else train is not the way to go in my opinion.  The dog needs to bond with you and dogs need to know who is the pact leader and they do want to please their pack leader (you) not some trainer who uses who know what methods if you are not there, some you would not approve of.  After all you want a happy, loving companion dog not one who is nervous and fearful from training methods.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Also, when I adopted my rescue I had to fill out a 3 page form about how I would treat the dog and at the bottom were some stipulations and one was that I had to sign that I would never use anything but positive training and if I were found to be using shock collars or fences then I would neeed to relinquish the dog.  They did provide info on acceptable methods of training.  I know many humane dog organizations were trying to get a bill passed making shock devices illegal.  Also if this were a family who never owned a dog or seemed uninformed on dog care, then this  larger dog who was a youngster should have been only adopted to experienced owners.  I don't agree that any home is better than no adoption at all. 

Unfortunately, that's not the way a dog pound works.  They get dogs in and they need to get them out.  They don't have the time or the resources to check the people adopting dogs.  It's very unfortunate because dogs end up back in the pound or they are picked up again for roaming loose, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

From what I have been told (and researched), the E collars they use have multiple settings. They hold a class that discusses multiple ways of training and how e collars are used and when they should not be used. I know hunters that use them to train their dogs; I a few K-9 officers and their dogs were trained with E collars; nothing negative from any of them.

The team offers multiple ways of training: one on one with owner and dog; group setting; 2-3 dogs max for 3 weeks of boarding. They also train and prepare dogs for companion purposes/special needs and have classes for those who are receiving a companion dog to learn how to work with their dog. 

I've seen their site, read their reviews and viewed their videos: nothing lower than 5 stars (even on yelp and other pet sites).

I didn't know until I read their info that E collars had so many settings; that might be why I had heard that they were bad- only 1 setting and it was very high.

For those who are against them: do you feel the same way about invisible fencing and the shock collars worn by dogs with those?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

by the way,invisable fences do not work to keep out intruders that may harm your dog and usually a dog will eventually figure it out and escape anyway ,only to find it cannot get back in.........  a very sad situation

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

From what I have been told (and researched), the E collars they use have multiple settings. They hold a class that discusses multiple ways of training and how e collars are used and when they should not be used. I know hunters that use them to train their dogs; I a few K-9 officers and their dogs were trained with E collars; nothing negative from any of them.

The team offers multiple ways of training: one on one with owner and dog; group setting; 2-3 dogs max for 3 weeks of boarding. They also train and prepare dogs for companion purposes/special needs and have classes for those who are receiving a companion dog to learn how to work with their dog. 

I've seen their site, read their reviews and viewed their videos: nothing lower than 5 stars (even on yelp and other pet sites).

I didn't know until I read their info that E collars had so many settings; that might be why I had heard that they were bad- only 1 setting and it was very high.

For those who are against them: do you feel the same way about invisible fencing and the shock collars worn by dogs with those?

To answer this question, yes.  And in some ways even more against these.  Invisible fences offer no protection from outside dangers.  Some dogs don't care if they are shocked and others in the "excitement of the moment" forget.  I always question "would you put one of those on your child and let them in the yard to play or do you want a fence in place to keep them safe".

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I know a fellow who used a collar that vibrates rather than shock.  His dog is wonderfully trained! Is that acceptable?

Honored Contributor

We had an invisible fence - it only took one afternoon for our dog to get that the collar beep meant she was going to get a shock if she did not stop. After that within a few weeks we took the collar off and never used it again.She was border trained. We also used it to train her to heel with out a leash and never had to use the shock - all we had to do was hit the beeper.Yes, we used a professional trainer . Money very well spent, and this is how military and police dogs are trained.

Where we live now there is an alligator infested lake behind our houses and one of our neighbors is a professional trainer. He trained many people's dogs here to stay away from the lake using a shock collar. So what is more cruel - let the dog get eaten by an alligator or use a shock collar to train it to stay out of their reach and out of danger? When I hear what some of the neighbors here consider training a dog I really have to just SMH - "Oh Fluffy, no no , don't bite that person's leg he is our neighbor" as they wag a finger at the dog or "sh sh  Fluffy we aren't allowed to bark outside" OMG - get a clue.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Are those collars called E collars as well? V collars? I assumed it was shocks due to the collar I saw on the dogs. 

I don't have a dog and never used them so maybe I jumped to a conclusion about the type of collar!

Honored Contributor

When we got our rescue dog, he was 6 or 7 years old. He never walked on a leash, we weren't sure if he was ever in a house - he was pretty much left with his 9 brothers and sisters to live in a barn. 

With a bit of time and work - he is a real treasure, This is our first dog and we had no training but he is now a well trained addition to the family. And as a bonus - everytime he has gotten sick he has picked a tile or kitchen floor. Makes clean up easy.

The ecollar might get results but I would rather take things slower in training a dog. And put time and effort into making the dog be a welcome addition to the family.