Respected Contributor

Dry food for cat with intestinal problem

My kitty, Iris, is thought to possibly have inflammatory bowel disorder.  She is about 12 years old.  Not sure because we took her in as a stray.  She is also diabetic on insulin.

She experienced vomiting and much loose stool.  She has been treated with 2 different antibiotics, prescription food, and prescription probiotics.  I am cautiously saying she seems like she may be feeling better very slowly.

She had seemed kind of withdrawn and quiet, not seeming to enjoy interaction with us.  She seems a bit more like herself last couple days.

The prescription food costs $50 for 8 pounds.  We have 8 cats, and they are all willing to eat the food!  We have a bowl of their usual food (Purina One Sensitive Systems) in our bedroom, which Iris does not have access to.  This has gotten very expensive.  If it was just feeding Iris the prescription food, we would just do it.  But it's getting really hard to spend that much for all of them to eat it.

Will probably buy at least one more bag since she seems better for whatever reason.  But I am wondering if anyone has had good results with another dry food designed for "sensitive stomachs?"  We were already using a sensitive food before she got sick.

Yes, we will ask her vet for a suggestion.  But has anyone had good results with another dry food?

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dry food for cat with intestinal problem

@hyacinth003  We get the HA dry food formula from Chewy's for our cat Cassie.  She was a rescue cat but we are not sure of her age--probably 12 or 13.  It is expensive, but it takes her quite a while to eat an 8 lb bag and we feed her in a separate room.  Chewy is also on most of the rebate and airline mile programs, even though the percentage has decreased.  You do need a script for it, but Chewys will take care of that for you.  I have found that this is the best food for her. Good luck in your search.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I should have added that I have 2 diabetic cats - Iris and Oliver.

They get insulin injections twice daily.  So, their dry food has to be available to them all the time.  They are not canned food eaters, so I can't do a "mealtime" for them.  Oliver lost weight in the run up to getting the diagnosis of diabetes, just a couple months now.  She has also lost weight, but I think it is from the intestinal issue.  She has been diabetic for a few years, and her weight was stable.

So, I have 4 insulin shots to give daily.  I feel better that their food is available to them.  I have to keep telling myself I am doing the best I can!!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003   I understand your frustration with the cost of the prescription food.  I feed my dog a prescription diet.  I've tried other foods, but she doesn't tolerate them after a while and I have to go back to the RX.

I have a Sure PetCare microchip pet bowl for my cat so that my dog won't eat his food.  The feeder reads my cat's microchip and only opens for him.  Henry, my cat, took to the feeder immediately.  It works well.  It's expensive but was worth it to me.  It comes with a plastic bowl, but they sell stainless steel bowls for it, and I bought a couple of them as I don't like plastic.  You might want to look into this. 

The website for the microchip bowl is surepetcare dot com.  They also sell them at Chewy and Amazon.

Edited to say:  If your cat is not microchipped, the feeder comes with tags to put on your cat's collar that the feeder will read.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

My vet recommended the Purina Pro Plan line of dry food. They have several different ones for different issues. You can find it at Pet Food stores, not grocery stores. Hope this helps. 

Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago our cat, Greta, started having problems with digestion as she got older. Our vet recommended Nutro brand cat food, and it helped her. We tried both dry and canned, and she liked the taste of both. It made a huge difference.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Pro Plan catfood. If you're cat has colon issues, you may need to stick to canned food (not dry). I had a cat with mega colon who did MUCH better on a diet that did not include dry food.