Respected Contributor

Re: Dry cat food exclusively?

I feed my 8-year old cat dry food and she loves it.  I give her Purina Cat Chow Indoors. 

Respected Contributor

I swear by grain-free dry food, in addition to their wet food. Everyone gets both, and some love wet, some stick with dry. I use Taste of the Wild (Rocky Mtn.) and Natural Balance (Limited Ingredient, Chicken and Green Pea) kibble. Years ago, when I switched to TotW kibble from one of the Purina supermarket varieties, I remembering looking at their coats a few weeks into the switch and realizing they were glowing. I credit the better-quality food. I think grain-free cat kibble is now sold in many supermarkets, but I'm sticking with what I know they like, which I buy from a pet boutique here or Amazon or Chewy.

My now-retired vet suggested that the cost of grain-free is worth it compared to treating a cat for diabetes, implying that the dry foods with grains may be a factor in the development of that illness.

Respected Contributor

My 11 year old will not eat wet food.  Dry food only.  Won't even eat a piece of Chicken!  Cat Indifferent

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Valued Contributor

I have 3 indoor kitties and one outside kitty.They all eat a combination of dry and wet food.I had a hard time getting them all to agree on a wet food they liked.I returned tons of it to Petsmart thanks to their return policy.A nice lady on these boards recommended Gravy Lovers and the rest is history.They all like it and have it at dinner. 

Their water bowl is on the coffee table and I make a big production about pouring a bottle of water every other day. They all enjoy my song and dance and all race to drink water. They drink a full bottle every other day. Good kitties.The outside kitty..not as much.

They LOVE their cat treats but I try to dole those out sparingly.I use the tartar control ones.My oldest kitty is 15 and going strong. I have had cats live to 22 so DH and I must be doing something right.

Valued Contributor

@house_cat  Give them meat. They are carnivores and need meat. You can give 3oz of meat and some dry. Yes it is bad to deprive them of meat. They're not people.

Respected Contributor

@wildlifewitch wrote:

@house_cat  Give them meat. They are carnivores and need meat. You can give 3oz of meat and some dry. Yes it is bad to deprive them of meat. They're not people.

Not just carnivores, like us, but obligate carnivores. They MUST have meat, period. I find it upsetting when I see people trying to put their cats on vegetarian diets. It's not okay for the kittehs.