Respected Contributor

Dremel-type tool for dog's nails

If you use a dremel-type tool for your dog's nails, what brand and model do you use?  I've seen some made specifically for pets and others look like a regular dremel.  I know little to nothing about these tools, so any advice or information is appreciated.  Battery operated?  Cord?  Is there a certain "grit" of dremel bit that you buy?  See?  I told you I know next to nothing about them.  I also wish I could find a trusted video to show exactly how to do it.  I do know about desensitization, and we are working on some of that now, as my dog doesn't like his feet touched at all.  So that is a first step.  And I also know you're not supposed to hold the dremel to the nail for any length of time at all.  But I would sure like to find a step-by-step guide on how to use the dremel correctly we reach the step of actually using one.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dremel-type tool for dog's nails

I would recommend taking your dog to a good vet to have nails trimmed. From what I have heard, it is very east to hurt your dog trying to do it yourself. (yikes! sounds horribly painful if you goof!) Seems like money well spent at the vet.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I would recommend taking your dog to a good vet to have nails trimmed.

Petsmart & PetCo trims dog & cat nails too.  Cheaper than the vet.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Our Golden is now 7.  She doesn't like ANYONE doing ANYTHING to her body, except, of course, for petting, rubbing her belly, etc.  So we've had quite a time figuring out the best ways to snip her nails.

I was doing it with a professional type nail trimmer, never cutting into the quick, but she still hated it.  We've tried a Dremel made for dogs, but you can't hold the Dremel on the nail for too long because the nail gets quite hot and I was afraid this would hurt her.

Then I took her to a groomer.  I was able to bring her in any time and watch (which is very important to me).  She absolutely hated it (the regular trimmer), but at least it was someone ELSE doing it to her and they were very good (and quick) at it.

Then the other day her nails really needed trimming and I didn't feel like going out.  So I defrosted about 20 small "liver treats" and gave her one immediately after cutting each nail.  She still hated it, but the treats seemed to help a bit.

Next time, I think I'll take her back to the groomer.  It's close and they only charge $10; I give them a $1 tip.

GOOD LUCK!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

Original poster here. The vet tech is currently cutting his nails and is having to sedate him to do it. We cannot figure out why, but a little over a year ago, he suddenly became absolutely Cujo when we would trim his nails. We hadn't nicked the quick or anything. It got so bad that we could no longer do it ourselves. We have been trying different techniques in order to be able to do it ourselves but have yet to find any that work. I have read that some dogs will allow a dremel when they won't allow clippers hence wanting to find out more about them. I just picked up a script for trazodone, so maybe that will allow us to do it, but I have my doubts.

Honored Contributor

I bought one of those tools years ago as I had a long string of rescues come through my life.  Only one dog would put up with that buzzing tool.  He was professionally bred and his breeder acclimated him to it as a tiny puppy.  Otherwise forget it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It takes longer to use a Dremel than it does to cut the nails with clippers.  I tried it one time, and my dog hated it.  What does the Vet Tech sedate your dog with to trim your dog's nails?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I used to use a Dremel-like tool on my German Shepherd's nails. His nails were like iron, but the sandpaper drum made very quick work of them. (Maybe three seconds a nail?) He was a big old sweetie. I'd sit on the floor, he'd come over to me and I'd start rubbing his chest and he'd roll onto his back. I'd put a leg on either side of him while scratching his chest, then use one hand to grab a paw and position it. Then briefly stop the chest scratching to grab the tool and grind down the first nail. Then set down the tool and resume chest scratching before moving on to the next nail. He didn't mind it at all. The hind legs would occasionally kick, more reflexive than anything, but not a big deal. Doing anything against the will of a 95 pound shepherd is challenging, but he truly didn't mind the nail grinding.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

I just took my baby to get his nails trimmed..he won't let me. It took her awhile, but he looks so much better and I know he feels better. I don't have a car so I had to wait until my son was available. I hate having to be dependent! Woman Frustrated

Valued Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I used to use a Dremel-like tool on my German Shepherd's nails. His nails were like iron, but the sandpaper drum made very quick work of them. (Maybe three seconds a nail?) He was a big old sweetie. I'd sit on the floor, he'd come over to me and I'd start rubbing his chest and he'd roll onto his back. I'd put a leg on either side of him while scratching his chest, then use one hand to grab a paw and position it. Then briefly stop the chest scratching to grab the tool and grind down the first nail. Then set down the tool and resume chest scratching before moving on to the next nail. He didn't mind it at all. The hind legs would occasionally kick, more reflexive than anything, but not a big deal. Doing anything against the will of a 95 pound shepherd is challenging, but he truly didn't mind the nail grinding.

Ahh...he sounds like a sweetie!...bless his heart! 95lb...I don't know of any dog that likes to have his nails done...you're a sweet mama! Heart