Respected Contributor

Re: Dr Phil rerun early this morning - woman with 15 cats

Love cats--hate the cat box. But it is terrific if you need to be away for day or so. You only need to leave plenty of food  , water , and the cat box. No need to board them.

2 are nice as they keep one another entertained. 

I can not imagine changing the litter and properly feeding 15 cats and having a life of my own. 

Regular Contributor

I saw that show! I have had as many as five kitties. That was abit hard to keep up with! Ihad four for a long time & that was a good number for me! It's costly to care for them + the litter boxes. Right now I have three and as I get older that seems to be working well. Love my kitties!kitten.jpg

Honored Contributor

For indoor only, four would be the limit.  I have two right now, which I think is the right amount for the attention that they need.  One is needier than the other, and they like to sleep in the (queen) bed with us.  Four would be a bit crowded.  We have three litterboxes now.  If we had five, four of them would have to go in the basement @denisemb.  

Honored Contributor

I've had three cats at one time in the past.  All of my cats have been kept indoors only.  I was able to manage three at that time but wouldn't want to do it now.  I have one cat and one dog now, and that's the perfect number for me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Two - one is still with us - he is 18.  His brother died about a month ago.  We miss him.  In the future, we plan to just adopt one - less hassle with the litter and all.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

OP here, I agree with most of you.  2 is the optimum number for indoor cats.  (When I was a kid living on a farm 100 yrs. ago, we probably had at least a dozen living in the barn.)

At one time, my 1st DH & I had two (male & female)) and when my SIL unfortunately passed away, we adopted her two.  I was able to rehome SIL's white cat (with one blue eye and one green!) to a friend from work.  However our girl and her girl never did get along. Cat Sad

Our last two cats adored each other! (great-grandma and great grandson.)

cimg0152.jpg

Denise
Respected Contributor

Oh, and the Dr. Phil woman?  It was definitely impacting her life.  She and her husband couldn't even go out to dinner once a week for 1-2 hours without her checking her phone (connected to a camera) to check on the cats.  Her husband seemed to be on the verge of divorce.  Also affected how often she saw her children and grandchildren.

She would also wonder where a particular cat was hiding -search and drag the sleeping cat from under the bed to an area within her viewing.

Feeding?  Yes, they were all well fed (bordering obesity) because she made sure each cat had their favorite foods.

Denise
Respected Contributor

Two is the most I've ever had.  I currently have a cat and a dog.  Can't imagine the food, litter and vet costs with 15 cats. 

Highlighted
Contributor

I currently have 25 cats. Some are feral outside only. I have a pretty big property and dog houses, sheds for them. I have 10 that are inside/outside. In this weather they are inside. Yes. They are a lot of work and expense. But I don't have much of a life so it works out. And my husband, after working long hours he's happy to come home, eat dinner, Pat each cat on the head and go watch TV😉
Regular Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

I can not imagine changing the litter and properly feeding 15 cats and having a life of my own. 

Me neither!