Esteemed Contributor

Dr. Jeff : Rocky Mountain Vet

I am watching the show and this couple brings in their dog that jumped out of the car window. Apparently, the window accidentally got lowered. They took the dog to the urgent care to fix the leg (broken in three places). The urgent care said the charge would be $18,000. They took the dog to Dr. Jeff and he did surgery and fixed the leg for $800.00. You should have seen the look on his face when the couple quoted the price. It is so sad to see people being taken advantage. 

The surgery went well and it will take time to heal. I love this show and how caring the vets are in this clinic.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dr. Jeff : Rocky Mountain Vet

This is one of my favorite "vet" shows.  Dr. Jeff is a wonderful human being, so kind and generous.  I love how he helps people out.  

Frequent Contributor

About 8 years ago, my sisters little dog got attacked by another dog, it ripped open his stomach.  She took him to the urgent care and they wouldn't even see him until she presented a credit card.  Since she jumped in the car to get there she forgot her purse, she had to wait until someone brought it to her.  After they got the card, they cleaned him up, while they waited for her her decision, they said the surgeon was on his way in case she decided to have surgery.  After she talked to them, they told her starting would be $10,000 and they really didn't think he would pull through.  Sadly, my sister decided to say good bye to him, this was gut wrenching for her.  They closed him up and let her say goodbye, she was so distraught over the whole situation.  The urgent care charged her $6,000; they only gave him pain meds, cleaned his wound, then closed it and administered the euthanization meds.  I think this surgeon who was on his way (and never did arrive there) charged for his travel.  I couldn't believe it, I tried to find somewhere where I could file a complaint for her but I found nothing.  They aren't in the business cause they love animals, they are in it for the money.  Wish we had a Dr Jeff in my area.

Esteemed Contributor

@labloverrr  What a sad thing for your sister to have to go through.  I've never had a good experience with an urgent care facility.  They are highly overpriced and take advantage of the pet owner's vulnerable state.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@labloverrr wrote:

About 8 years ago, my sisters little dog got attacked by another dog, it ripped open his stomach.  She took him to the urgent care and they wouldn't even see him until she presented a credit card.  Since she jumped in the car to get there she forgot her purse, she had to wait until someone brought it to her.  After they got the card, they cleaned him up, while they waited for her her decision, they said the surgeon was on his way in case she decided to have surgery.  After she talked to them, they told her starting would be $10,000 and they really didn't think he would pull through.  Sadly, my sister decided to say good bye to him, this was gut wrenching for her.  They closed him up and let her say goodbye, she was so distraught over the whole situation.  The urgent care charged her $6,000; they only gave him pain meds, cleaned his wound, then closed it and administered the euthanization meds.  I think this surgeon who was on his way (and never did arrive there) charged for his travel.  I couldn't believe it, I tried to find somewhere where I could file a complaint for her but I found nothing.  They aren't in the business cause they love animals, they are in it for the money.  Wish we had a Dr Jeff in my area.

I would have sued the owners of the dog that attacked her dog. She could have gone to small claims court and got $5,000.  If they owned a home, she could have gone after the home owners insurance. She had a couple of alternatives. 

When I owned a dog, I was walking my dog and a owner had his dog tied to a boat in the front lawn. He escaped and attacked my dog and pulled me down under the two dogs. The owner stood there for a few minutes and finally got his dog. I checked my dog but didn't find any bites. When I got home, I noticed several open wounds. I went to the person's home and told them I was taking my dog to urgent care and I was going to sue them. They showed up at urgent care and paid the bill plus reimbursing me for my time lost at work.  They were renting the house and I could have sued the home owners for allowing a vicious dog on their property. My dog was a pitbull and not a fighter. The other dog was a pitbull and very aggressive.  

I don't know if it is too late to collect the money from the owners of the dog but no harm in trying. I am sorry for your sister and this had to be devastating. 

I contacted Animal Control and they went out and talked to them. Hopefully, your sister did the same.

Valued Contributor

I watch the Dr. Jeff show too and enjoy it immensely. I think he provides a wonderful service to his community. I remember a few years back, the program did a segment showing how he raises money to help offset the lower prices he charges for his services.

On another note, it's a shame the exorbitant prices animal ER/Urgent Care facilities charge to people needing their services. I did need to use them for my diabetic cat years ago, and a cat that had a garage door fall and pin him down. It makes me think more and more that I need to sign up for pet insurance.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I regularly watch Dr Jeff also.  He doesn't charge his staff, vets, and the homeless.   I think the shear volume of work and the TV show profits help him with his charitible work.  His accountant must be a saint in working out the business budget.   

He is the best show on AnimalPlanet. 

Respected Contributor

Love Dr. Jeff.

Respected Contributor

In my area in CT, vet fees for regular vaccinations and well-care are outrageous. I recently brought dog for annual exam, and Lyme and Lepto Vaccines, and it cost over $350.  

They had an open house over the summer and you can see they have a tremendous amount of expensive high-end machinery for diagnostics, so we are paying for it. Crazy expensive to have a pet.   

Respected Contributor

I love Dr Jeff. He does good things.  I will bet that those cases shown on the series are compensated by the producers for the vet care.  It HAS to be something like that.  How else could he do Orthopedic surgery without a mask?  He gives them a good chance over no chance at all.  Good job they do.