Valued Contributor

Are there any fans of Dr. Pol here? I like the way he treats most animals with respect (although I think he could be just as happy if he didn't have to work with Angus cattle for the rest of his life).

My favorite episode was when a young man brought his lizard in for treatment. The lizard's problem was that part of its tail had somehow got damaged and the dead end was dangling. Dr. Pohl got out a pair of nail clippers and clipped off the dead section in no time flat. And I like that he treated the young man respectfully and didn't tease him about having a lizard for a pet.

A lizard named Larry! Woman LOL How did he manage not to laugh? My sister and I laughed about it for days.

Super Contributor

My husband and I watch it alot. All the vets seem to love animals. He kind of reminds me of a vet i had years ago.

Respected Contributor

Yes, @PuppyLoverBob666  I watch Dr. Pohl. Can’t say I’m a fan cause I don’t watch every episode but I find him to be more of a fascination.

He sure doesn’t “sugarcoat” anything does he and I like that. There’s nothing he won’t do I.e.lizard episode. Don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Sure glad I don’t have to clean up after him. Hahaha

Honored Contributor

I don't always watch but have seen and enjoyed many episodes. Did anyone see the episode where he went back to the Netherlands? A beautiful bench was built in his honor. I believe he's a celebrity there. I found that aspect of his life interesting as well.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Jan Pohl

[ Edited ]

I will not watch Dr. Pohl.  I watched an episode where he was very disrespectful to the cow regarding artificial insemination, which is a cruel practice.  Animals are sentient beings.  

Honored Contributor

I've watched all of the Dr. Pol episodes numerous times as it's my background noise of choice.  I especially like Dr. Brenda.  I know Dr. Pol has been reprimanded by the state veterinary society for unorodox and unsanitary practices.  Doesn't seem to phase him.  He does some gross, dirty things that I wonder about.  He has a ton of charm and charisma that seem to keep him out of trouble.  I wonder about the way he treats his employees, especially expecting pregnant women to wrestle 2000lb cows and work long hours into the overnight.  They seem to come and go pretty fast.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have probably seen every episode at least once. In fact yesterday there was a marathon of episodes that ran all day and I watched quite a few of them. I like him and all the vets that work at his clinic. Something about Charles though rubs me the wrong way. I know he holds up tails and helps with the calf puller and hangs onto ropes and such but when he says "we need to" or "we needed to" in reference to the actual treatment of the animals it bugs me, I dunno why. Wonder what he's going to do when the show ends.

Valued Contributor

If you haven't already, check out his book. 914RRSkEdCL.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watch it and I have for years. The show is often fascinating. He is an old-world farm vet, essentially. Livestock are not the same as domesticated animals, and farmers do Not have a lot of money, and tons of animals to care for . He keeps the vet care low priced. 
 I do agree there are episodes that I wonder about-  But also I admire that he doesn't seem to try rake clients over the coals, and by that I mean over doing and overcharging- For example, if there's a broken limb, they just resets it as best as possible, or if too bad, they amputate.  Other vets seem to always go for expensive operations with plates and pins, even for an older animal.  Costs thousands...
I recently had to take my dog for athe annual bordetella, kennel cough vaccine, or nose spray  ( in order to kennel her for a short getaway). It was done in the back by a vet tech, and they charged me $50.  So ridiculous. This is CT vet care,  but I adore my little dog, so I accept it with rolling eyeballs- 🙄🙄🙄

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 .............I'd say if you got all that done for $50 you did well.  Our vets office would charge an office call approx 40 to 50.00 plus the charge for the meds.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)