Respected Contributor
1 bordetella, that’s all!
Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I watch it and I have for years. The show is often fascinating. He is an old-world farm vet, essentially. Livestock are not the same as domesticated animals, and farmers do Not have a lot of money, and tons of animals to care for . He keeps the vet care low priced. 
 I do agree there are episodes that I wonder about-  But also I admire that he doesn't seem to try rake clients over the coals, and by that I mean over doing and overcharging- For example, if there's a broken limb, they just resets it as best as possible, or if too bad, they amputate.  Other vets seem to always go for expensive operations with plates and pins, even for an older animal.  Costs thousands...
I recently had to take my dog for athe annual bordetella, kennel cough vaccine, or nose spray  ( in order to kennel her for a short getaway). It was done in the back by a vet tech, and they charged me $50.  So ridiculous. This is CT vet care,  but I adore my little dog, so I accept it with rolling eyeballs- 🙄🙄🙄

@Skyegirl21   Where do you get information on keeping fees low?  In all the Dr. Pol episodes I've watched over the years, I've never heard fees discussed or even mentioned.  They conveniently skip over the check-out process.  The only vet to claim to charge affordable rates is Dr. Jeff, the Rocky Mt. Vet in Denver. 

I'm betting Dr. Pol charges every cent he can get.  Those farm calls don't come cheap.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I'm betting Dr. Pol charges every cent he can get.  

Prove it.

Valued Contributor

Re: Dr. Jan Pohl

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I will not watch Dr. Pohl.  I watched an episode where he was very disrespectful to the cow regarding artificial insemination, which is a cruel practice.  Animals are sentient beings.  

ok, I HAVE to ask: how can you be "disrespectful" to a cow , artificial insemination or not.

please--TELL ME! I just can't imagine it. It's a COW, not the pope. :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Jan Pohl

[ Edited ]

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

Prove it.

@PuppyLoverBob666    Are you serious?  Somebody else made a claim so the burden of proof is on her.

It appears that you just came here to argue.  We already have enough of that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Prove it.

@PuppyLoverBob666    Are you serious?  Somebody else made a claim so the burden of proof is on her.

Right. If she thinks Dr. Pohl is getting rich off his prractice, ler her prove it.

I didn't make the charge, she did.

Valued Contributor

I just did an on-line search for him and one of the questions asked was, how much is he worth? the answer was, a milliion dollars. Another question was, what is he paid per episode? The answer was, $30,000.

One would think that with such a busy practice and the expenses he incurs, he'd be worth a lot more. 

I'm not here to argue but, disrespectful to a COW??? really? Please tell me what he did; I dying to hear lol!

Valued Contributor

on the subject of fees: I've wondered about that too and I saw an episode in which someone had an emergency and discussed the fee with Dr. Brenda; he said, do you have a payment plan? and she said, no we don't...and then the camera cut away.

Yesterday Dr. Pohl mentioned that some woman in the area had started a fund for just such emergencies. I've tried--without success--to find out more about this so I can donate. If anyone knows anything about it please let me know.

Valued Contributor

"@Skye2girl   Where do you get information on keeping fees low?  In all the Dr. Pol episodes I've watched over the years, I've never heard fees discussed or even mentioned.  They conveniently skip over the check-out process.  The only vet to claim to charge affordable rates is Dr. Jeff, the Rocky Mt. Vet in Denver. 

I'm betting Dr. Pol charges every cent he can get.  Those farm calls don't come cheap."

wow! who peed in your cornflakes?  you sure do have a sour disposition.