Trusted Contributor

I always try and drop off some needed items, but dread going there, ( i want to bring them all home) . So this year i found a way to have items sent. I shopped at target, i had a gift card which i used, and bought items on the shelters wish list. Then i googled the address and had them sent ! Just an idea for those who donate.

Valued Contributor

Re: Donating to pet shelters,

@dogsx3  What a great idea and a generous one too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3 That is a terrific idea! I will use that one in the future. We try to help the animal shelter in the mountain village where we spend our summers. It is a modest size compared to big city shelters, but we would call when we arrived and they came to the car to pick up our donations. Your way is much simpler.

Edited to add: I bet I could do the same thing with Chewy or Petsmart. There is no local pet food store there.

Honored Contributor

You can drop off donations at shelters without walking back and looking in the kennels. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Also, if you donate food--be sure to contact the shelter to find out what they are feeding.  It's hard on animals when you change up their diet.

Respected Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

Also, if you donate food--be sure to contact the shelter to find out what they are feeding.  It's hard on animals when you change up their diet.

Exactly, this place is small so a phone call lets us know what food to bring to them.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You can drop off donations at shelters without walking back and looking in the kennels. 

Yes, but i just get so sad even going there.

Trusted Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

Yes i looked at their wish list, our shelter wanted can purina, and dog treats.

Honored Contributor

The shelters I donate to have Amazon wish lists. It's also no problem to have other things delivered to them, regardless of where you order from. Being doing this for ages.

Honored Contributor

That goes for all charities.  I have Amazon send diapers to the local police for a drive, sox to a church I don't attend but read about, etc.