Honored Contributor

Re: Donating to pet shelters,

Chewy has a list of shelters around the coun try that you can buy for and they will match it and send it to the shelter you pick. 

Trusted Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Chewy has a list of shelters around the coun try that you can buy for and they will match it and send it to the shelter you pick. 

Thanks for wonderful info !

Regular Contributor

I also order from Amazon and have it delivered directly to our local shelter.  I keep Amazon Smile turned on and this donates a small percentage of what I spend at Amazon to the shelter.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is sad to see animals in shelters, but you can also look at it that they are fed, sheltered, safe, have some vet care and the possibility of being adopted. They are not running the streets scared, starving, mangy, sick.   

I leave newspapers for them.  I guess they line cages with them.  I don't think they are open to visitors yet.. 

There are some helpful ideas here for donating.   Thanks to all who shared these.

Off topic, when I see mature animals, especially dogs, in the shelter, I just wonder, "Who loved you enough to care for you for years, and now you wind up in this place? What happened?"

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You can drop off donations at shelters without walking back and looking in the kennels. 

That's what I do.  I drop off cat and dog food at the local animal shelter / SPCA.  I coupon and can sometimes get good deals on pet food; that's when I stock up.

Trusted Contributor

Also along with food donations for cats and dogs, don't forget that shelters also take gently used blankets and towels.  The shelters near me that I donate to use the blankets and towels to line the cages and help keep the animals warm.  

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 

Although I've mentioned it before, I want to mention a way to donate every week ....  

My Kroger grocery store, Ralph's, has a COMMUNITY option in personal settings.  Based on the amount you spend, they donate to one of a selection of charities in your community ... granted, it's a small percentage, like one tenth of one percent or something like that, but it adds up.  Your selected charity is named at the bottom of every single receipt.

Personally, my selected charity is A Cat's Tale, a no-kill shelter in Redondo Beach, CA.    It really makes a difference for them, according to the director I spoke with last year. 

See if your grocery chains offer the same option .... it's a good feeling to trigger a weekly donation, no matter how small.  Every bit helps!