Honored Contributor

Donating dog food and dog stuff

We have cases of just about every dog food, two memory foam dog beds (I washed them 2 times), water fountain, thunder shirt, ramp to get into car (never used) and lots of other stuff.

We want to donate. I emailed the Collie Rescue  people on Monday. Asking if they would recommend any group to donate this stuff. I have not heard back from them.

In the past we have taken cases of dog food to WSPCA. 

But I read and saw pictures from a lady that donated boxes of stuff to WSPCA. She accidentally included her dog's collar. So she went back to ask about it. She was told they didn't see it. She looked in the dumpster and there were all the items that she donated. She took pictures. From what I could tell the stuff looked like new. Why didn't they just say they didn't want the stuff rather than take it and just throw it out.

Anyone know of organizations that would want cases of unopened dog food and other stuff?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Donating dog food and dog stuff

[ Edited ]

Our local county animal shelter does.

Esteemed Contributor

Try your vet, especially if they board animals.

Respected Contributor

We have a Best Friends adoption center that accepts any kind of donations.  I've also given food and treats to our Humane Society.  They are very appreciative.

Esteemed Contributor

My local no kill shelter accepts unopened pet food, wet and dry. They are currently by appt only but volunteers are there during posted hours so you can leave donations at the front door.

Also my local food pantry accepts unopened pet food. Michigan's unemployment is very high and the pantry will post requested items on their website.

Trusted Contributor

I believe the Meals on Wheels program will take donations as many of their clients have limited incomes and they have pets, so donations are very much appreciated.   

Honored Contributor

ARL takes donations.

Trusted Contributor

Petsmart or pet co would take it, they have a place for donations by the front entrance. 

Trusted Contributor

Also, some grocery stores have big barrels for food for familys by the entrance, they would take unopened dog food too.  

To bad you couldn't take it back to the store where it was purchased for a refund, i did and it was no problem at all. 

Respected Contributor

Just saw a commercial on TV this morning asking people to remember to donate to their local animal shelters.