Trusted Contributor

Re: Don't know WHAT to DO...Cat STILL BITING

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will get the paper litter, I am using the clumping litter.  I have hardwood floors, but I am going to evaluate my laundry detergent.

Thanks!!!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

Ms NoodleAnn

I will work on this, I would try and play with him to distract him.  Maybe that waß to much, so I will try your method.

Also I will find a song to sing.

Question to everyone

How do you feel about putting a cone on him when he is excessively biting? Maybe instead of the cone, I will adapt Ms Noodle's method

in your life!!!
Valued Contributor

Use the cone.  It is not forever and it is in his best interest.  If it is an allergy or irritant and you fix it, you do not want him to have developed it into a habit.

Trusted Contributor

Just as an update, I don't know if anyone will see this posting but i'm taking Socks to the Vet on Thursday.  This is my concern, Socks is kind of feisty, they said to give him a shot they might have to sedate him.

WHY

Is this normal?  Also he is overweight and I'm scared to have him sedated unless really necessary.  Am I making a big deal about nothing?

in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

They checked for fleas and none.

I wonder if it is just him, I'm planning to get the steriod shot.

The vet "claims" his hair will grow back after he gets the shot.  I gather it will suppress his anxiety.

thanks!!!

Again, all comments and ideas are welecome

Steroids have no affect on anxiety. They do reduce itching, if that's the cause of the biting. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
New Contributor

Just some thoughts.

We have 4 cats.  One acts like a feral cat when we take him to the vet.  Since they were all rescued animals, who knows what could have happened to them before to make them behave the way they do.

Last year we had each cat's teeth cleaned and they had to be put out for that.  I too was apprehensive, but everything went well.  We were told not to let them jump up on things for at least 24 hours after we brought them home.  We had a 4 foot cat tent type thing that we put the cat in, with a litter box of course and water.  Then waited the x-number of hours before giving them a little food.  I had the tent on the bed and I slept next to the cat all night.  We did one cat at a time so we could monitor things and manage things.  All went just fine.

We also had one cat who had surgery to take off a smal tumor on his front paw.  We did the same thing after he came home.  So that cat has been put out twice and all went well - no problems.

I would ask them to check his\her teeth too as long as the cat is sleeping anyway.

We haven't had the biting \ lickingissue you mentioned, but you sure did get a lot of good suggestions.  We have had to change out litter for one cat.  I don't know why he didn't like what we used for the other cats, but they are all individuals so we need to find out what makes each one happy.

We also have one cat who is a bit over weight, but it is really hard to manage his food because he came from a home with too many animals, so now, even though we have had him 6 years already, he still will over eat and then throw up because he ate too much.  We have also found out that if we do not feed him on time, he will throw up clear liquid.  He's tricky when it comes to food.  He doesn't eat the low-cal food we have for another cat who has digestive issues.  

Good luck with the vet appointment, good luck in finding a solution to the issue, but keep up the good work.  Sounds like it is a lucky cat to have you..  

Trusted Contributor

Ms. LuckyKath -Thanks for the great information,

Just as an update,

Socks went to the vet yesterday, he got his steriod injection and his blood was taken and his blood tests results were good.

So far, no biting at all.

Now this is just DAY ONE, we will see how long this lasts.

I will update, I did post a seperate post about considering getting another cat and I'd love to have anyone who is interested read it and provide comments.

in your life!!!
Visitor

I know it is hard to watch our furbabies go thru things as they cannot tell us what we need to know. It sounds like you have done alot of things to stop this biting.. Do you have newer carpet? There may be something there..? also I know it is expensive but have allergy tests done to see if you can pin point an allergy, (because it does sound like an allergy).. but there are a ton of other things.. like diabetes and even some have like OCD..which they can medicate.. I have not read all the answers you received but I would think your family vet should be able to help you..if not I would find a different vet to talk with.. some are just more knowledgable about different animals.. I hope you can find help.. 

Trusted Contributor

Leah - Thank you so much, I don't have any new carpet, and I tried a series of foods and limited ingredient, hydrolized etc.

He is still not bitting himself which is really amazing, I don't know how long this will last, supposedly 2-4 weeks.

I wonder if it is a mental health issue, nerviousness, when he is home alone or I am gone to bed that i when it really started. 

I tried all the games before bed and food and those nights he did better but I am starting to wonder if this bitting on the paw action is something from his childhood.  I got him from the shelter so I don't know all about his past.

I will continue to try my best to make his life better but I don't want to have to get steriod shots too often.

in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

I've read that when a cat or dog gets something wrong with a part of their body, usually a paw or leg, they naturally will lick or chew on it.  But sometimes some animals will continue to lick or chew on that spot even after the original injury is healed, out of habit or to soothe themselves.

If your vet can't find anything wrong with your cat, this may be his situation. If you can get him to break this habit long enough (with the steroids you've given him), just maybe he will find something else to entertain or soothe himself.  You've gotten several suggestions to help divert his attention.  

Hopefully, the steroids will work and only have to be used temporarily.  Best of luck to you and kitty!😺