Honored Contributor

Re: Dogs who are picky about bully sticks

[ Edited ]

Forgive my ignorance about these bully sticks.  Max died in 2008 and I've been in a full bird phase since then.  Actually, now that I know what they are, I don't think I would give them to my dog anyway.  I couldn't handle a pigs ear - I don't know about a bull's privates (lol).

I guess I won't ask the next time what they are - I'll google it and figure it out myself.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

My little guy turns his nose up at most treats, but he will do all his tricks for Bully sticks. Started by accident, we were walking by the treat counter after daycare and he snatched one from the bin so I felt obligated to buy it. About went into sticker shock so I asked why that little piece of rawhide could possibly cost so much. Then I got the lesson on what a Bully stick is. I found them much more reasonably priced on Am...n. It doesn't bother me to think about the particular body part that is used, if the dogs were in the wild I'm sure they wouldn't avoid that part just because we might wince due to our cultural filters. If my pup likes it, I am delighted to fulfill his dreams!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Thank you, @HappyDaze
@No, @Bird mama and @Kachina624, I am not speaking of rawhide at all.

If you know dogs, you know they are completely different, as HappyDaze explained.

That is why I titled the post "bully sticks" and not "rawhide."  Why would you think I meant something else when I clearly named it as what I meant?  There wasn't even one tiny bit of acknowledgment that I knew what I was talking about.  How odd.

I would never give any dog any rawhide, thank you very much.  

Maybe this is overkill, but it's tiring to have to keep explaining oneself when one believes that one has been very clear already.  Especially when the proper word and description has been  used.  This is not the first time this has happened on these forums.  It is very frustrating to be so misunderstood.

My dog only gets the small ones - and only one per day, if that much.  She does not get free access to them.  She does not get free access to any food, for that matter.  Only to water, of course.

Not sure why you are worked up over a misunderstanding and question.  Many people do not know what a bully stick is made of, thus could very well assume you were referring to rawhide.  I have found that I have to explain what a bully stick is to almost all of the people I talk to about them.  Perhaps explaining what they are in your post would have eliminated the confusion.

To answer your question, I give them to my dogs on occasion.   They both love them and they usually do not last very long.  While they are high in protein, they are also high in calories.  I would rather give them raw bones.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Regarding hard bones- I use to think they were great too, the marrow bones. But then I went to the vet and they found FOUR cracked teeth! The hard marrow bones were all he's ever had hard so he had to have cracked them with that (I had just given him one before the vet vist and they say the cracks looked fairly new).

My vet said that she knows many vets recommend marrow bones but she said they see alot of cracked teeth in dogs that chew on them. Luckily my other dog just likes to lick goodies out of the marrow bone and doesn't chew on them at all but I am tossing them anyway. Bummer because they love those bones!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

Thank you, @HappyDaze

If you know dogs, you know they are completely different, as HappyDaze explained.

That is why I titled the post "bully sticks" and not "rawhide."  Why would you think I meant something else when I clearly named it as what I meant?  There wasn't even one tiny bit of acknowledgment that I knew what I was talking about.  How odd.

Maybe this is overkill, but it's tiring to have to keep explaining oneself when one believes that one has been very clear already.  Especially when the proper word and description has been  used.  This is not the first time this has happened on these forums.  It is very frustrating to be so misunderstood.

My dog only gets the small ones - and only one per day, if that much.  She does not get free access to them.  She does not get free access to any food, for that matter.  Only to water, of course.

Not sure why you are worked up over a misunderstanding and question.  Many people do not know what a bully stick is made of, thus could very well assume you were referring to rawhide.  I have found that I have to explain what a bully stick is to almost all of the people I talk to about them.  Perhaps explaining what they are in your post would have eliminated the confusion.

To answer your question, I give them to my dogs on occasion.   They both love them and they usually do not last very long.  While they are high in protein, they are also high in calories.  I would rather give them raw bones.

I didn't have a question.  I provided a solution.  Maybe that's why I'm worked up. because people didn't take the time to check something they maybe weren't familiar with.  No one simply asked what a bully stick was.  They assumed it was rawhide and went ahead and felt free to lecture me on the dangers of rawhide.

We are on the internet - we are not standing around in a coffee shop without WiFi.  Why should I have to explain when I already used the proper term?  If I'd meant rawhide, I would have said so. 

I know you are someone who is knowledgeable about dogs, so why would you now take the time to browbeat me when all I did was offer advice?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@betteb wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

Tell me about it Smiley Sad

@Bird mama

I adore you and what you do for nature.  I apologize for including your post in my response. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Geeeez....

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

Thank you, @HappyDaze

I didn't have a question.  I provided a solution.  Maybe that's why I'm worked up. because people didn't take the time to check something they maybe weren't familiar with.  No one simply asked what a bully stick was.  They assumed it was rawhide and went ahead and felt free to lecture me on the dangers of rawhide.

We are on the internet - we are not standing around in a coffee shop without WiFi.  Why should I have to explain when I already used the proper term?  If I'd meant rawhide, I would have said so. 

I know you are someone who is knowledgeable about dogs, so why would you now take the time to browbeat me when all I did was offer advice?

Did not know that checking google was required to have a conversation.  I was in no was browbeating you, simply did not understand your over reaction. Good Day

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Janey Mack!   Pet Lovers is the one part of the forum where I thought we could all get along.  Please let's not argue.  I'm one of the people who related a rawhide to a bully stick (blech - lol) and I'm not offended by what's been written :-)

We all get days when one little thing just hits THAT nerve.  It's all good.

Now get over here and gimme a hug

Image result for bird hugging

Honored Contributor

^^^^^^ this

not this

Image result for birds fighting