Frequent Contributor

I have read that dogs should not consume pork products, as pork products contain an enzyme  that dogs cannot digest.  While looking at "The Farmer's Dog" website recently, I see they offer a pork stew for dogs.  

What do the pet experts here think?  TIA

Respected Contributor

Growing up we had a basset hound who had Eczema.  Not sure if it's true but our vet at the time said absolutely no pork for her as it would cause it to flare up.  I have followed that rule all my life with all of our dogs!

Contributor

I had a dog with allergies to a lot of things and the holistic vet changed her to pork. And a later diabetic dog that the vet nutritionist also recommended pork. But they were talking mostly pork loin/some Roast if not too fatty. It is the ham,bacon, the cured meats  are the ones that are bad for them.

Trusted Contributor

Our vet says no to pork products, especially ham and bacon, which said she said could lead to pancreatis. 

Trusted Contributor

Our vet says no to pork products, especially ham and bacon, which said she said could lead to pancreatitis.

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

Our vet says no to pork products, especially ham and bacon, which said she said could lead to pancreatis. 

@Maltichonmom17    That would be due to the fatty nature of the meat, not any enzyme.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have always known not to feed dogs pork, raisins or chocolate.  I remember a pig roast a club had and they also had a dog who come there as a stray and they took him in and he lived there.

Well at the pig roast some proceeded to feed him pork even after I explained not to.  Well of course the dog got very sick.  Fortunately, the vet I used for my dog was a very caring man and I called him and he came from another town even tho it was late on a Saturday night to take care of this poor dog.  He did save the dog's life by taking him back to his clinic and treating him over the course of about a week.  It was a touch and go situation for awhile, the dog was very sick.

Trusted Contributor

Pork itself is not the issue.  As @Kachina624 stated, it's the ham, bacon, etc salt & fat that is an issue.  We feed our dogs pork loin or non fatty chops all the time made in the crock pot with carrots and broccoli.  Our vet said any meat is fine as long as there's no fat, preservatives, processing and salt.  A a matter of fact, as someone else said, with our diabetic dog it's the vet's top recommendation.  

Regular Contributor

Didn't know but good to know.  Thank you for posting.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dogs eating pork

[ Edited ]

Excerpts from:  akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/can-dogs-eat-pork/

Can Dogs Eat Pork?

Eating meat is very natural for dogs, and commercially prepared foods contain ingredients like chicken and beef. So it’s no wonder that owners are curious about whether pork is safe for pups to consume.

Is it Safe for Dogs to Eat Pork?

Plain, cooked pork is safe for dogs to eat, as long as you keep it simple and leave off the bells and whistles people tend to cook with. Seasonings and spice rubs that contain the following ingredients are extremely dangerous because they are highly toxic to dogs if ingested:

Onion powder
Nutmeg
Garlic powder

Avoid feeding your dog food cooked in condiments such as barbecue sauce. Many sauces are high in salt and sugar and contain added flavoring, such as garlic and onion. If your dog happens to eat a piece of pork covered in barbecue sauce, keep an eye out for any unusual symptoms that may arise; if they do develop a reaction, contact your vet immediately.

Is Preserved Pork, Such as Ham and Bacon, Safe for My Dog to Eat?

The answer to both of these meats is no! In 2015, the World Health Organization found that processed meats such as bacon and sausage were known carcinogens linked to cancer. Bacon is an incredibly rich and fatty food with a high salt content, which can prove to be too much for a dog’s stomach to handle. Eating a large amount can cause pancreatitis, which can be fatal.

Ham may cause increased thirst and could lead to a deadly condition called “bloat.” Bloat occurs when a dog’s stomach fills up with gas, food, or fluid, making it expand. Ham’s high salt content can cause dogs to become dehydrated and drink an excessive amount of water. This puts pressure on other organs, which potentially can be life threatening.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.