Honored Contributor

🍐 Dogs being dogs 🐶

[ Edited ]

Last night I heard some rustling noises and found my little chihuahua in the act of tearing bits off the gift bag my newspaper carrier didn’t take with her. I think the carrier must have thought it was something someone had left for me.  The bag was sitting near my front door ready to go for next Sunday.  Little Kiku decided that something in there smelled good enough to eat (a wrapped box of candy), and thought she'd help herself.  Now the bag is hanging out of her reach until next Sunday.  Her nose is more powerful than I realized.  

A few weeks ago, I walked into my bedroom to find half of a ripe pear lying on my bedroom carpet.  I had bought pears earlier that day, some close to ripe, and placed them into the fruit basket on my kitchen table. 

My not-even-five-pound little girl had taken a pear from the basket on the table and carried it with her all the way into the bedroom.  It was about as big as her head.  She was as silent as the proverbial Christmas mouse.  And as agile and nimble, too.

I am going to have to be more thoughtful about pushing the kitchen chairs in, and being mindful of what is out on the table.  (I can report her digestive system handled it perfectly.)

My first dog had done something similar when a friend and I were driving home after shopping and the Papillons were in the back.  One of mine decided to munch on my friend’s pear that she’d carefully chosen to have that same night after dinner.  Some dogs are nothing less than pear connoisseurs.

What sorts of things tells you that your dogs are just being dogs and you love them even more for taking initiative?

DSCN0415a.JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: 🍐 Dogs being dogs 🐶

In two subsequent years, my sister sent a big box of gifts that included some extra special homemade cookies for dad (aka the cookie monster).  The big box was not opened and was left in the foyer.  My big collie, (aka the brat) managed to sniff out the food which was in a plastic container, tore into the package and sneaked the food out the dog door.  The pitiful remains were found in the back yard.  Sister was POed bigtime.  I only regret I didn't sign him up to sniff luggage at the airport.

He was also adept at stealing cans from the pantry, opening them, and even flattening them for recycling.  He favored chicken flavored soups and could pick them out.

The noble creature that is my avatar is this very dog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach    love the stories and photo.  Dog has that "don't mess with me" look in her eyes.   

Frequent Contributor

I have a Chihuahua mix that is very good at opening cabinet doors.  One day I came home and there was a bag of cookies by the front door, opened and partially eaten.  These were people cookies not for dogs.   I looked upstairs and there was the Chihuahua and my other dog a Shihtzu looking at me as if to say we don't know who did it.    I now have baby locks on my cabinet doors.    

Frequent Contributor

I had received cookies one year, my friend only baked these cookies for Christmas, since I only get them once a year they are treasured. They were in the gift bag which also contained a Starbucks gift pack. I went to get a cookie and that's when I found that my lab had opened the Starbucks pack, the bag containing the coffee was ripped opened the sweets that were in the gift pack and my treasured homemade cookies were gone, there wasn't even one cookie left 🙁 She never did anything like that, so those cookies must've smelled irresistible to her 🐾😁

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach. She is just precious.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

In two subsequent years, my sister sent a big box of gifts that included some extra special homemade cookies for dad (aka the cookie monster).  The big box was not opened and was left in the foyer.  My big collie, (aka the brat) managed to sniff out the food which was in a plastic container, tore into the package and sneaked the food out the dog door.  The pitiful remains were found in the back yard.  Sister was POed bigtime.  I only regret I didn't sign him up to sniff luggage at the airport.

He was also adept at stealing cans from the pantry, opening them, and even flattening them for recycling.  He favored chicken flavored soups and could pick them out.

The noble creature that is my avatar is this very dog.

I've always loved your avatar.  I had a collie years ago but mine wasn't as talented as yours.  She was the love of my life.  I had always wanted a collie. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach, Love the picture of your little darling.  And her expression is priceless.  So she’s a tiny bit naughty?  When you are this cute, everything you do is cute.

@Kachina, I have always loved Collies, since I was a kid.  What a funny story, which proves how smart and talented this dog was.  Who doesn’t like cookies?

Easy for me to say, as we just have one cat, Lily, a Maine Coon.  I should be ashamed to tell you how spoiled she is.  She likes a constant supply of her wet food.  If it gets a little stale, she just sits by her dish and waits til this old fool freshens it up.  And if I am not near the kitchen, she finds me, meows a little, and I run to the kitchen to freshen it up.  I won’t get into Treatsie time.  No, she doen’t get into people food, but she sure has me well trained.  Yup, sometimes I even say, “Lily, you are a spoiled brat, but Mommy loves you.”

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach

Your little sweatered friend is adorable.   Love the turtleneck!

I cannot believe she is the cause of ANY trouble!

We run a small B&B and guests from years back brought their little long-haired, black and white chihuahua, Bella.  What a precious little girl -- they sent a photo of her with pearls as a collar!  Funniest thing is she did not seem to know how little she was.  Full of attitude!

@Kachina624

Your collie is so beautiful.  I've only been around one in my life and Bo was a very sweet-natured dog.  A joy.  They are special dogs.

I'm a cat person, but love hearing about doggie mischief!

@PamfromCT

I'll be your Lily is a stunner.  I have always wanted a Maine Coon, but.....have always just adopted the strays that walked up to our house in the woods.

My remaining senior boy is a white and tan "cow print" kitty and very sweet and vocal.  He too alerts me when he wants fresh food.

I don't mind in the least bit unless it's 4 a.m. in the morning  Cat LOL

I miss having multiple kitties!

Honored Contributor

Thanks to 

@Kachina624@luvmybeetle@luvzchiz@labloverrr@quilter61

@PinkyPetunia who made such kind comments and shared more wonderful dog tales.  I hope there'll be even more.

@Witchy Woman and @PamfromCT

Cats being cats is equally as terrific as dogs being dogs!

I like to think of the pose by my little Kiku as her "Lana Turner wannabe" pose, in her white turtleneck.  "Thanks to all the little people who made it possible for me to be who and where I am.  I can say that because I weigh less than five pounds."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.