Honored Contributor

Dogs and Salt Water Poisoning

A Florida man whose black Labrador Retriever died after a trip to the beach is warning other pet owners about saltwater poisoning.  

Chris Taylor, 29, had to put his beloved dog O.G. down on Wednesday after the six-year-old ingested seawater at a Tampa Bay-area beach.

O.G. started showing symptoms of dehydration including unsteadiness and diarrhea shortly after playing in the surf and running along the sand on Monday.

Taylor figured the dog was just tuckered out from the adventure, and didn't think much of it because soon enough O.G. appeared to be feeling better. 

Two days later O.G. stopped eating so Taylor rushed him to the veterinarian, who told him the dog's brain was swelling and he wouldn't survive.

'It still feels surreal,' Taylor told Fox 13. 'It doesn't feel like reality. I [have] to get a grip on that and realize that it is real and he's gone.'

Ingesting seawater can have deadly consequences for both humans and animals because the body isn't equipped to handle the salt content. 

Veterinarian Melissa Webster told Fox 13 that dogs sometimes mistake ocean water for fresh water, which is why owners need to keep a close eye on their pets at the beach. 

'When I brought my puppy to the beach for the first time, I was literally there for only 10 minutes,' Dr Webster said. 

'He was drinking it like it was water in the pool. So for him, 10 minutes was more than enough.

RIP O.G.

O.G. became very ill on Wednesday, two days after spending the day in the Florida surf

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5954385/Florida-man-beloved-black-Lab-dog-poisoned-beach-sal...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Dogs and Salt Water Poisoning

a cautionary tale and heartbreaking story.

Trusted Contributor

What a tragic story. I knew that humans shouldn't ingest salt water, but didn't really think about the consequences for dogs. Very sad.

Honored Contributor

That’s so sad.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @KingstonsMom

This can also happen in freshwater.  Be aware that dogs swimming can ingest more water (salt or fresh) than they can handle.

It's called water intoxication.

https://thebark dot com/content/danger-water-intoxication

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

Good point! It's not just salt water!

Gotta protect our babies!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

So true, @KingstonsMom

I remember when I got my very first dog, I felt as if I had to be a town crier or something and announce all sorts of dangers to every other dog person.  Better to post on a board in a pet forum so at least those reading will welcome the information!  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

So very sad.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Very sad story, but to be honest, I thought this was common knowledge.  I also thought (foolishly, I suppose) that even dogs knew better than to drink salt water.  I only say this because I've been taking my dogs to the beach for years and, while they love to run in the ocean, they never drink the water.  

Esteemed Contributor

Tragic.

Breaks my heart to see the little guys photo.