Trusted Contributor

What did your dog ingest?   What you do is completely dependent upon that.   You need to call poison control, the national ASPCA poison number, or an emergency vet.  

Pumpkin is good for a dog's digestion and stool quality.    If the dog cannot swallow anything, or it hurts, or if it doesn't like pumpkin, it will puke.   A vet can pull out an obstruction.   This dog needs to see an emgergency vet now.      

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@jobran wrote:

I don't know anything about your dog but I just googled pumpkin for dogs and there's nothing wrong with it.  In fact, a little bit is good for your dog.

OP is often unclear in her posts but I believe what she meant is her dog ate something that was poisonous (who knows what it is..) and so for some reason gave the dog pumpkin thinking maybe it would help but instead it made the dog vomit. So I think the pumpkin didn't make the dog vomit but giving the dog pumpkin after it ate poison did.

What's unfortunate is that not only is she unclear, she seems to wait until the last minute and instead of taking action or, better yet, being prepared, she asks questions on this board.   

I'm sure she means well, but why not do some reading or preparation or acquire some knowledge ahead of time.  This is not the first time she has been unprepared.  Only this time sounds more serious.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@RinaRina - I saw you've posted on the forums today.  An update on your dog would be nice please?

Respected Contributor

Re: Dogs & Food Poisoning

[ Edited ]

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@RinaRina - I saw you've posted on the forums today.  An update on your dog would be nice please?

Hi Buck-i-Nana,

He's been hospitalized.  The vet thinks he has bacterial colitis from food changes.  I'm sort of baffled by this because I used to "change" my other dog's food frequently and she never got colitis.  But the vet said she sees this all the time.  She said if he's not better by tomorrow, we should do an Ultrasound, as the X-ray showed no blockages.

What SCARED me was the vomiting and the bloody diarrhea.  It was terrible -- and messy.   He looks so awful.  I hate to see him suffering like this. 

The vet also did a rat poison test, but it appears he was not poisoned.

BTW, I haven't read the board much, as I've been exhausted.  I'm having my own health issues, so, I'm a little "foggy" these days.

Thanks for asking, tho'.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Thanks for getting back to us @RinaRina.  I'm very sorry your dog is so sick.  Keep us posted on what's going on with him.  I hope tomorrow finds him much better.  I hope your health issues get better, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina - Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear he wasn't poisoned.  It's so scary and heart rending when our pets are sick since they can't tell us what they're feeling.  Prayers that he improves quickly and gets back to being a happy pup.

Some dogs seems to have cast iron guts and others are very sensitive, just like people I suppose.

Take care of yourself and thanks for the update.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Hi Buck-i-Nana,

He's been hospitalized.  The vet thinks he has bacterial colitis from food changes.  I'm sort of baffled by this because I used to "change" my other dog's food frequently and she never got colitis.  But the vet said she sees this all the time.  She said if he's not better by tomorrow, we should do an Ultrasound, as the X-ray showed no blockages.

What SCARED me was the vomiting and the bloody diarrhea.  It was terrible -- and messy.   He looks so awful.  I hate to see him suffering like this. 

The vet also did a rat poison test, but it appears he was not poisoned.

BTW, I haven't read the board much, as I've been exhausted.  I'm having my own health issues, so, I'm a little "foggy" these days.

Thanks for asking, tho'.

I'm glad it isn't anything too serious with your dog, but I am curious about one thing - changing food frequently.  Why would you change dog food frequently, unless the dog was having a problem?  That, I don't understand.  In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I would think one would just be asking for trouble by switching often.  If and when you ever try this again with your dog, it needs to be a very slow process over a couple of weeks or so by mixing the old and new food, gradually tapering off the old and increasing the new.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dogs & Food Poisoning

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Why would you change dog food frequently, unless the dog was having a problem?  That, I don't understand.  In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

It's the same brand, just different varieties.  For example, salmon and sweet potato, chicken and lentils, beef and vegetables.  I get the food from my local pet Health Food store -- all "natural".  Anyway, I called the vet early this morning because it occured to me that maybe it was the APPLE that caused the colitis.  I eat a lot of apples, which I often share with my dog.  Everytime I bite into one and he hears the crunch, he jumps on my lap for some.  So, I use a little paring knife and cut tiny slices for him.  Sadly, that was probably was a mistake -- an expensive one.  Smiley Sad

Just trying to be a "nice" dog mommie ...

Oh well -- as the saying goes -- no good deed goes unpunished.

Woman Frustrated

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

My sister's chocolate lab had an episode this past summer.  They were camping and had a live-in dog sitter who apparently changed the dog's routine.  He is a very nervous dog when his day doesn't go as he thinks it should.  They got a phone call and came home early.  He was having numerous episodes of bloody, loose stools.  The major concern was dehydration, so he got IV fluids.  After a few days on a very bland diet of rice and chicken, and a special food from the vet, he was back to normal.  I hope that's the case with your dog.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Why would you change dog food frequently, unless the dog was having a problem?  That, I don't understand.  In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

It's the same brand, just different varieties.  For example, salmon and sweet potato, chicken and lentils, beef and vegetables.  I get the food from my local pet Health Food store -- all "natural".  Anyway, I called the vet early this morning because it occured to me that maybe it was the APPLE that caused the colitis.  I eat a lot of apples, which I often share with my dog.  Everytime I bite into one and he hears the crunch, he jumps on my lap for some.  So, I use a little paring knife and cut tiny slices for him.  Sadly, that was probably was a mistake -- an expensive one.  Smiley Sad

Just trying to be a "nice" dog mommie ...

Oh well -- as the saying goes -- no good deed goes unpunished.

Woman Frustrated

Understood.  I've read that changing varieties within the same brand should be OK.  The apple snack was probably the culprit.  A small piece or two might not be harmful, but if overdone, problems follow.  At least you figured it out so now you know to limit them.