Respected Contributor

Dogs & Food Poisoning

[ Edited ]

Has your dog ever eaten something he shouldn't have?  My vet is closed tomorrow.

What's the best antidote in the meantime?

I gave him some pumpkin, but he puked.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Dogs & Food Poisoning

[ Edited ]

Is there an emergency vet in your area?  My vet has the phone number for the emergency vet on her answering machine.  Since your dog is vomitting, I really wouldn't wait to get medical attention.

ETA - there is an on-line emergency vet that you could try and see if they recommend taking your dog in for treatment somewhere or if they can suggest a remedy or if it could wait until morning.  I don't know if there is any charge for the on-line service.  Google emergency on-line vet.

Honored Contributor

Any idea what the dog ate?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

My dog ate an ant trap once (not at MY house - LOL).  We were down the shore and I didn't know what to do so I called Poison Control.  They were very helpful.  My dog was fine.  I would suggest calling them.  Good luck.  

Honored Contributor

There are some things where you don't want them to throw it up and some things that you do so don't try to induce vomiting unless you know what it is!

If your dog ate something he shouldn't, depending on what it is, you need to take him to the Vet ER. WIth some things, you can NOT afford to wait if you don't want him to die or suffer.

Honored Contributor

It completely depends on what that something was. In some cases immediate medical attention is advised. I'd call the local emergency vet. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know anything about your dog but I just googled pumpkin for dogs and there's nothing wrong with it.  In fact, a little bit is good for your dog.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dogs & Food Poisoning

[ Edited ]

@jobran wrote:

I don't know anything about your dog but I just googled pumpkin for dogs and there's nothing wrong with it.  In fact, a little bit is good for your dog.

OP is often unclear in her posts but I believe what she meant is her dog ate something that was poisonous (who knows what it is..) and so for some reason gave the dog pumpkin thinking maybe it would help but instead it made the dog vomit. So I think the pumpkin didn't make the dog vomit but giving the dog pumpkin after it ate poison did.

Honored Contributor

I would locate any emergency vet in your area...just me, but I wouldn't take any chances with my little boy if I thought his life could be threatened.  

Honored Contributor

Well, the OP hasn't been back to check replies for 2 hrs. so maybe she ended up taking her pooch to the emergency Vet.