Respected Contributor

I have a friend that rescued a Shepard/Terrier Mix who gets car sick.  It is a puppy. She has had her about three weeks.There was an old post from 2011 here but no one answered. I know my neighbors give their Bischon/Poodles anti anxiety meds to ride in the car.

Has anyone experienced this with a dog? I have been lucky all of mine have been fine with no symptoms of car sickness.

Esteemed Contributor

@Gorgf  Your friend needs to speak with the vet and get something to help.  I have only had one dog that did not do well in the car, and we limited the car rides because of that.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Dogs Who Get Car Sick??

[ Edited ]

I've had a couple of dogs over the years that got car sick to varying degrees.

One was okay for short rides, although she got nervous unless she could stick her head out the window.  On longer rides, she got really hysterical.  When we moved cross country by car, I had to give her medication.

My other dog got sick--literally--even if she sat in an unmoving car.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, I tried could get her to stop.  Even if she had no food or water, she would froth at the mouth.  I felt so sorry for her.  Similarly, we had to resort to medication, which only helped slightly, and only took her in the car when absolutely necessary.

Both dogs started this as puppies the first time they got into a car and continued throughout their lives.  

Thankfully, the dog I have now absolutely loves riding in the car!👍

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf  I had a rescue that got really sick in the car.  My vet gave me something to give her a half hour before going anywhere and what a difference it made.  

I watch Brandon McMillan's "Lucky Dog" and he suggests getting a raised car seat so the dog can fully look out of the window.

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf   My dog Max was a boxer/shepherd mix used to get car sick if we travelled when he had a full stomach.  It happened a couple of times when he was a baby (in the back seat).  He outgrew it when he got taller.

My advice, don't drive away with a puppy who has a full stomach.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Dogs can take Dramamine, can't remember the dose but it's probably online, or vet can advise.  Puppies that get car sick usually outgrow it.  Don't let the dog ride in the floor of the car.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Pook  Great suggestion!  Boosting my dog eye level to see out the back

windows (plus medication if needed)  really helped my poodle with car sickness. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  You are correct about the Dramamine, as the Vet  mentioned it. She also said desensitization what ever that entails?

I Googled and there are products for sale to purchase for Car Sickness in dogs. Another hope is maybe she could out grow It?

Thank You all for your input!

Trusted Contributor

1. Make sure they can see out the window.

2. Imagine there is a cup of hot coffee on your dash, slow down very slowly for lights, slow down for turns and never go fast or the dogs get sick, lesson learned!