Honored Contributor

Re: Dogs Being Returned To Animal Shelters

@candys mine wrote:

@SoonerNo One is ENTITLED to owning a pet.  One must be able to provide for their OWN survival and the survival of their offspring before they add to that the financial burden the upkeep and care of an animal.

I LOVE animals. I have Had animals all my life and loved each one dearly. 

At this stage I will not be getting another animal because I cannot be sure that it would get the quality of life it deserves no matter how much I Want one.

I repeat my belief, No one is ENTITLED to a pet if they can not maintain their own selves first.

@candys mine True.  Nobody should be poor.  

Respected Contributor

If it's true that many dogs are being returned to shelters, I hope they had a good year with their temporary owners. It's sad for them to be shifted around, confused by the change.  I hope shelters aren't so overwhelmed at this time so that the returned dogs will find new homes. Most dogs are forgiving and adaptable.  I believe some of the dogs adopted during the pandemic would have been otherwise euthanized.  Perhaps the adopted dogs helped people and especially children survive this terrible last year.  While I love all dogs and treat my own dog like visiting royalty, people first. I know my dog has helped our family.  Don't bash me please.

Respected Contributor

@elated I literally saw on Inside Edition where people are driving out in the country and chunking dogs out.  They claim they can no longer take care of them.  Dogs can live a long time and are not a fleeting toy.  Dogs have big hearts, are very forgiving and always a constant companion.  Would you take a child or your elderly parents and put them out?  God help you, I would hope NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

@elated I literally saw on Inside Edition where people are driving out in the country and chunking dogs out.  They claim they can no longer take care of them.  Dogs can live a long time and are not a fleeting toy.  Dogs have big hearts, are very forgiving and always a constant companion.  Would you take a child or your elderly parents and put them out?  God help you, I would hope NOT!!!!!!!!!!

That breaks my heart and brings tears to my eyes. So many sick and mean people in our society. You know what they say about karma; hopefully it will  come back to them twice as bad. 

Super Contributor

This is such a tricky situation.  A lot of us saw this coming....

I am heartened by the fact that most people are at least returning their animals to the shelter.   That's how i got my 'middle child'.   He was adopted as a kitten by a couple who, about 18 months later, found they were unable to care for him properly (one of them took ill, and the other became the caretaker).    I adopted him, and am lucky enough to have had him in my life for 7+ years now.  

I don't put the blame on anyone.   A responsible shelter will do their best to maike a good decision before placing an animal.  I would guess that a decent # of animals were returned (or surrendered) because their owners' finances took a big, unforeseen hit in the last 12 months or so.  That certainly happened in the last recession; animals were surrendered because their owners couldn't afford their care, and/or they had to move to a place that didn't accept pets.  The shelter I volunteered at during that time set up a pet  pantry in response.   People would donate food, and pet owners simply asked and were given food so they could keep their animals.

As another poster suggested, maybe some animals' lives were saved, when they were adopted in the last year, and now (if they were returned), they have a 2nd chance.

I'm sure the people surrending their pets are heartbroken, too (especially if there are kids involved), and it wasn't a decision that was made lightly.

To those people who are simply dumping their pets......     well, that's another story altogether.   I don't know how to express my disgust and anger without getting kicked off these boards for life..

Trusted Contributor

I agree with your post @Calgal2too .

There are many thoughtful comments in this thread.

I doubt that anyone who starts out adopting a pet thinks of surrendering it back to the shelter. 

I think that there can be any number of unexpected life events that can happen to people that can cause sudden hardships in life.

As others have mentioned here, people may not fully understand the costs involved in taking care of a pet regarding food costs and vet bills, especially if they haven't had a pet before, or if it has been awhile since they've had one.

Anyone who has adopted a pet from a shelter knows that when you surrender a pet back to a shelter, you have to pay a surrender fee when you do as part of the original adoption contract that you signed.

If someone is having difficulty taking care of their pet/s, I'd rather see them try and see if they can get some kind of help in their community if possible, before surrendering their pet.

Sometimes the local food banks will have pet food that was donated, or they might also ask their Vet's office for resorces and referrals for help, too.

Esteemed Contributor

I heard on the news today, in Colorado, that so many dogs are being surrendered they can 't find foster homes. What is wrong with people????? 😢😰

Respected Contributor

The Shelters are going to be overwhelmed.  Think about it.  They have a dog for adoption.  someone takes the dog home.   Shelter gets Another dog.  That doggie goes home.  Shelter gets Another dog.  That dog goes home.  Shelter gets another dog for adoption. Then those dogs ( not all, I am aware) they Previously adopted out are Brought back. Shelters have only so many cages and those are filled allready.  What do they do with the dogs that are being brought back?

Hope everyone bought stock in prozac.  LOTS of seperation anxiety developing because owners didn't plan ahead for going back to work and pups wonder why their packs are leaving them behind.  they have never been taught that the pack leader will be back so just sit tight and don't panic.  That's ALL on the people who adopted them.  they had MONTHS to teach pup it's NOT the end of the world if they are left alone for a while.  Now, because pup Is anxious  and distructive of owners Things,  They're OUTTA here. Now that people don't have to stay home but the dogs do it's inconvenient to deal with the behavior.