Esteemed Contributor

Dogs Being Returned To Animal Shelters

I heard on the news in Colorado that dogs are being returned due to people going back to work and foreclosures. Maxfund stated they had 15 dogs returned in the last two weeks. These dogs don't understand why when they had a home and now are surrendered. This is so sad. What is wrong with people??? It makes me wonder if they even thought through these adoptions. Sometimes it is unavoidable but heartbreaking.

I remember when shelters were empty because they couldn't keep up with the demand. Now, we are going backwards.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dogs Being Returned To Animal Shelters

I saw this coming

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I saw this coming

@SeaMaiden  You and me both. 

Honored Contributor

I'm afraid I'm another who expected this to happen.  The animals were just adopted to fulfill a temporary need for companionship.  I will never understand how people can treat them like that, but at least they've returning them to the shelters, not just abandoning them.

So sad for the animals.

Honored Contributor

Also, people get pets and find they can't afford them.  The animal isn't feeling well, they take it to the vet and boom, it's hundreds or thousands of dollars.  Who can do that? 

Esteemed Contributor

It is so sad , the animals are being returned, however it is better than the owners dropping them off somewhere to starve  of be more afraid. Hopefully the shelters will find new homes.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I saw this coming

@SeaMaiden    I think the shelters even predicted it as did many of us.  I hate this is happening. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That was my first concern as soon as I heard that people were adopting pets to keep them company while working from home. Another tragedy from all this.

Respected Contributor

Well, it's not even 6:00am and the neighbor's four legged alarm clock is out there waking up the whole state again.......usually it's 3:00am now it's both.

Honored Contributor

I knew this would happen and the blame is on the animal shelters for allowing those impulse adoptions.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)