Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dogs Being Returned To Animal Shelters

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner   I've had my share of mutts, have two now that I adore.  However, I must confess that I love and admire a beautiful purebred dog and have had many of those too.  Same for horses.  Purebreds are ultimately responsible for the brains and beauty many mutts possess as their genes get carried forward. 

And also alot of health problems due to inbreeding. Epilepsy is rampant among some pure breeds.  The late Alex Karas used to say have 2 dogs....the dream breed you've always wanted and the one you saved from euthanasia.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner   I've had my share of mutts, have two now that I adore.  However, I must confess that I love and admire a beautiful purebred dog and have had many of those too.  Same for horses.  Purebreds are ultimately responsible for the brains and beauty many mutts possess as their genes get carried forward. 

And also alot of health problems due to inbreeding. Epilepsy is rampant among some pure breeds.  The late Alex Karas used to say have 2 dogs....the dream breed you've always wanted and the one you saved from euthanasia.  

@MoJoV People often can't afford one pet now, no less two.  I don't think some people consider that or know what is expected for pet health care now. 

A lot of people are having a hard enough time feeding their kids.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner I realize that times are hard for people now,it was just a generalization and a thought I felt sounded kind and sensible.  Of course not for everyone.  Believe me, I know the incredibly high cost of veterinary care these days. Ouch!!  My little love is almost 12 now and high maintenance.  

Thanks for replying.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@Sooner I realize that times are hard for people now,it was just a generalization and a thought I felt sounded kind and sensible.  Of course not for everyone.  Believe me, I know the incredibly high cost of veterinary care these days. Ouch!!  My little love is almost 12 now and high maintenance.  

Thanks for replying.

@MoJoV People just can't afford pets now.  Especially a lot of elderly.  It will only get worse because the feral animal problem will simply continue to grow.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It's chic to adopt a rescue dog.  It is a fad.  It is something pushed really hard now.  It is the thing to do.  You are a good person if you do it.  You pick out your forever wonderful and go home.  And then:

It's all puppies and rainbows and wonderful when in reality it is often a dog or cat that destroys your furniture, turns over it's water on the wood floor, poops and pees, barks, howls, growls, runs away, gets sick, throws up, digs up the yard, costs big bucks etc. etc. etc.

So reality and fantisy don't match. And don't blame people so much because it's sold as a lovely thing and reality is that having a pet is a lot of work and very expensive.  At least in real life.  I think a lot of people don't think about or understand this. 

A lot image is being put forth now, and not too much about reality.  There is more about adopting animals than kids.  More effort it put into it. Probably more money. 

@Sooner this post reads as if only rescue dogs have these issues.  ALL dogs, no matter where you get them get sick, can cost big bucks, can destroy things, etc.

I'm tired of excuses being made for people.  They need to take person responsibility.  Have some dang common sense and realize what can and does happen when you adopt a dog.      

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

It's chic to adopt a rescue dog.  It is a fad.  It is something pushed really hard now.  It is the thing to do.  You are a good person if you do it.  You pick out your forever wonderful and go home.  And then:

It's all puppies and rainbows and wonderful when in reality it is often a dog or cat that destroys your furniture, turns over it's water on the wood floor, poops and pees, barks, howls, growls, runs away, gets sick, throws up, digs up the yard, costs big bucks etc. etc. etc.

So reality and fantisy don't match. And don't blame people so much because it's sold as a lovely thing and reality is that having a pet is a lot of work and very expensive.  At least in real life.  I think a lot of people don't think about or understand this. 

A lot image is being put forth now, and not too much about reality.  There is more about adopting animals than kids.  More effort it put into it. Probably more money. 

@Sooner this post reads as if only rescue dogs have these issues.  ALL dogs, no matter where you get them get sick, can cost big bucks, can destroy things, etc.

I'm tired of excuses being made for people.  They need to take person responsibility.  Have some dang common sense and realize what can and does happen when you adopt a dog.      

@Lipstickdiva Lipstick Diva raised a question I have.  So this is not directed at her, but I hear this a lot and it raises a question.  Growing up in a very poor place, and having a lot of poor kids I knew and knew their pets I have to ask this:  

That's great for people who have jobs and security and luxuries like a stable job or own a house.

Problem is not so fortunate people love animals as well.   So then people who don't have good health care themselves are not entitled to pets?  If you aren't middle class but are living on the edge, you can't have a dog because the dog can't live the life you live?

I'm not picking on you, I'm saying is this where we are with pet ownership?  Homeless people should have their dogs taken away?  

I am seriously asking questions I wonder about--what is the issue here?  I would like some input on this.  

Honored Contributor

For those of you blaming the kennels, legally here in Ohio, and perhaps where you live as well, a county kennel or any government run/owned facility is NOT allowed to deny adoption to anyone.  Believe you me many times the kennel workers know full well things aren't going to go well with a dog.  They know the dog is going to get dumped or brought back.  But there isn't a thing they can do about it. 

A private rescue is a different story. They can be selective.  However, not all rescues are in it for what is best for the animals either.  There are a lot of rescue groups not on the up and up.     

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Lipstickdiva That's great for people who have jobs and security and luxuries like a stable job or own a house.

Problem is not so fortunate people love animals as well. 

If they really loved them and knew they were in no position to take care of one, they wouldn't get one.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it is more  complicated that just 'knowing' that dogs can be expensive, destroy things, etc.    

Even being a dog owner for many years, you may end up with a dog that isn't what you expected.

For example, my son owned a great dog for 10 years.  He was easy-going, healthy, good with kids.  A wonderful addition to their family that loved everyone.  Did I mention healthy?  

After 10 years, he thought this was typical of owning a dog.  

But ... the next dog he got was a different story.  He had health issues  (hip dysplasia and allergies) that required expensive treatments.  He was dog reactive, so no one could bring their dogs to their house.  He was good with kids and people he knew, but required slow, deliberate introductions to any company that came to the house, which put a damper on family gatherings. 

So ... he had to give the dog up.   He got another dog that was a much better fit for their life style.   I don't fault him for that .... he is a great pet owner, but he wasn't in a position to change his life style to accommodate a dog.

(Actually, I ended up with his unhealthy, reactive dog.  But, within a year he died of cancer, costing another couple thousand dollars.)    

Respected Contributor

@SoonerNo One is ENTITLED to owning a pet.  One must be able to provide for their OWN survival and the survival of their offspring before they add to that the financial burden the upkeep and care of an animal.

I LOVE animals. I have Had animals all my life and loved each one dearly. 

At this stage I will not be getting another animal because I cannot be sure that it would get the quality of life it deserves no matter how much I Want one.

I repeat my belief, No one is ENTITLED to a pet if they can not maintain their own selves first.