Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dogs Being Returned To Animal Shelters

As a cat and dog lover, I'm heartbroken about this but not surprised. I can't imagine the poor creatures' bewilderment at a minimum and outright fear.

In our area, it's happening with dogs and cats--except in many instances, people are just letting the cats "out" permanently to fend for themselves. Which of course, they can't.

Despicable and incredibly selfish.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner    So true.  A person on our Next Door app mentioned she wanted to buy a certain purebred dog.  The shamers descended on her like a swarm of locust with cries of, "get a shelter dog" and "get a rescue".  There were over 50 critical responses. 

I'm sure she was sorry she mentioned it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner    So true.  A person on our Next Door app mentioned she wanted to buy a certain purebred dog.  The shamers descended on her like a swarm of locust with cries of, "get a shelter dog" and "get a rescue".  There were over 50 critical responses. 

I'm sure she was sorry she mentioned it. 

@Kachina624 It breaks my heart to think that it is possible that at some point in the not too distant future most dogs will be mixed, mostly of pit bull types if things go the way they are not.

No more collies, Scotties, pugs, cocker spaniels, King Charles spaniels, Westies, Poodles, Poms etc.  It would be a great loss. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   I've had my share of mutts, have two now that I adore.  However, I must confess that I love and admire a beautiful purebred dog and have had many of those too.  Same for horses.  Purebreds are ultimately responsible for the brains and beauty many mutts possess as their genes get carried forward. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Best dog we ever had was a mutt!  But best horse we ever had was a buckskin Quarter Horse.  It's all about choice.  And luck!  LOL!!!!  

Never had an Arabian horse but gosh are they beauties!  And Secretariat?  What a magnificent animal!  And those dog shows?  LOVE them. 

Honored Contributor

I think the shelters are partly to blame, because they had to know this was going to happen. Still, I don't know how they could have prevented it without stopping all adoptions. It's difficult to know someone's true intent so IMO most of the blame falls on the irresponsible adopters. 

Valued Contributor

A animal is not like a dress you decided to returned because it didn't meet your expectation. As a lover of dogs especially,it requires love and patience. While it is better to return the dog or cat,people should think about the animals feeling.Do not buy or adopt an animal because you are bored. Buy a book,go for a walk,volunteer to a shelter,etc.

Love, patience ,care is the 3 qualities needed in animal care. Yearly vet visit,shots,vaccinations,dog tags, etc. Those are the requirements.I have 2 dogs, a rescue  7 old year old basset hound,whom my neighbor bought,but didn't have the patience for and was given to me,when she was 2.5 years old. A male rescue min pin age 2 for my birthday this year, from my son and daughter in-law. I have had dogs all my adult life.(I am in my sixties,going on thirty 😀)When they passed,I cried,because to me they were family,just as my current dog babies.

Respected Contributor

This is so sad. Some people use animals to fill a need, not thinking about what a great commitment it is. The cute little puppies and kitties one sees on TV isn't always the case. Feeding is expensive as is veterinarian care. Pets are not status symbols but so many use them that way. I hope the pets find new homes where they are loved as much as they will love.

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

I heard on the news in Colorado that dogs are being returned due to people going back to work and foreclosures. Maxfund stated they had 15 dogs returned in the last two weeks. These dogs don't understand why when they had a home and now are surrendered. This is so sad. What is wrong with people???

@elated

Not a darn thing!  It's NOT their fault that their homes have been forclosed on AFTER adopting.  Maybe "pets" are not allowed wherever they are going to live next or pets are allowed up to a certain pound limit.  Where I live, there is a pound limit & no pit bulls.

Maybe they are NOT going to "live" in their car just to keep their pet(s). 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@elated wrote:

I heard on the news in Colorado that dogs are being returned due to people going back to work and foreclosures. Maxfund stated they had 15 dogs returned in the last two weeks. These dogs don't understand why when they had a home and now are surrendered. This is so sad. What is wrong with people???

@elated

Not a darn thing!  It's NOT their fault that their homes have been forclosed on AFTER adopting.  Maybe "pets" are not allowed wherever they are going to live next or pets are allowed up to a certain pound limit.  Where I live, there is a pound limit & no pit bulls.

Maybe they are NOT going to "live" in their car just to keep their pet(s). 

Are you aware that foreclosures don't happen overnight!!! People knew they were in financial trouble for a long time. Don't adopt a dog if you can't afford your normal day to day living expenses.