Honored Contributor

All herding dogs have undercoats.  My two, although one is a small mini Aussie, don't even want to be covered when we sleep with the window opened on 20° nights.  I cover them, they immediately crawl out of the cover.  They get too hot.   They're bred to withstand harsh weather conditions.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Dogs adapt to weather changes.  They are out exercising so they are fine.  I have a short haired dog and when he is out running it could be sub zero and he wouldn't care. 

I would mind your own business. 

@CrazyDaisy 

Not all dogs are alike, just like people.

My 90 lb. avatar has short hair and he wears a fleece lined jacket when he goes for walks in the winter, otherwise he shivers.

And we live in the deep south, where we never get really cold temps.

Got a whippet/staffy mix that loves playing in snow in northeast Ohio.  As long as he is moving the cold does not bother him.  People tend to put human feelings on dogs, really a diservice to the dogs.

@CrazyDaisy 

I resent your above comment, when my dog is shivering, he's cold, I am not putting human feelings on him.

Why must you ALWAYS be so negative, judgemental and always right, even though the circumstances may be different???

Don't bother answering, initiating my personal 'ignore' feature now.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

My neighbor,actually i do not know him  ( lives around the corner) has 2 mini French poodles. Everyday he walks them past my house so I get to see them. Little Cuties .

BUT, He  NEVER has a coat or sweater on them. They are freezing it is below 30 degrees today. i live on a freezing cold windy hilltop.

Today i almost went to the door and handed him 2 little sweaters.

Should I mind my own business or what? 

It is heartbreaking.  Smiley Sad

@MalteseMomma 

I would mind my own business.

The dogs are getting their exercise, and are moving which produces body heat.

I'm betting that the dogs are just fine trotting around the block sans sweater.

I doubt that they are "freezing".

They may even enjoy the cold.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma My little white highland terrier has a lands end jacket that he struts his stuff in and seems to enjoy.  Actually he jumps up when you take it off like he wants it back or feels violated because you took it off.  My pet groomer said she got raked over the coals for putting a bandana on a little dog when his "daddy" picked him up.  Perhaps he does not believe in dressing an animal, who knows with people!

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma : MYOB. This is not about you.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624, I'd have to disagree about men not being interested in their dog's looking adorable.

Not to brag or anything, BUT I just happen to have an adorable looking dog Smiley Happy and I can not tell you how often men tell me that they think my dog is so cute.  I've had several men also mention that they don't typically care for small dogs, but mine is an exception as he's so cute!!   Based on my experience, men do love their pets looking adorable!

My husband often sees me and my little one walking past our house and he tells me that our little guy is just too darn cute!!

Honored Contributor

Unless a dog has very short fur or is shaved down, most do not need sweaters.

My dog doesn't even own a sweater.  She does have a K9 top coat that is a waterproof  bodysuit that she wears if it is raining or snowing.

Of course my dog is an inside dog and only goes out for walks. I don't like her to get wet.

Not all dogs hate the cold.  My dog will not lay on carpet or any other warm place.  She sleeps on a gel pad to keep her cool all year around.

I would not say anything about the poodles not having a sweater. 

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop.  Maybe your dh is prejudiced?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 , as I mentioned, MANY men tell me my dog is adorable, not just my dh.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Dogs adapt to weather changes.  They are out exercising so they are fine.  I have a short haired dog and when he is out running it could be sub zero and he wouldn't care. 

I would mind your own business. 

@CrazyDaisy 

Not all dogs are alike, just like people.

My 90 lb. avatar has short hair and he wears a fleece lined jacket when he goes for walks in the winter, otherwise he shivers.

And we live in the deep south, where we never get really cold temps.

Got a whippet/staffy mix that loves playing in snow in northeast Ohio.  As long as he is moving the cold does not bother him.  People tend to put human feelings on dogs, really a diservice to the dogs.

@CrazyDaisy 

I resent your above comment, when my dog is shivering, he's cold, I am not putting human feelings on him.

Why must you ALWAYS be so negative, judgemental and always right, even though the circumstances may be different???

Don't bother answering, initiating my personal 'ignore' feature now.

Read what you want into my answers and resent whatever you choose, it is not always about you.  I stand by my statenents.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.