Esteemed Contributor

My neighbor,actually i do not know him  ( lives around the corner) has 2 mini French poodles. Everyday he walks them past my house so I get to see them. Little Cuties .

BUT, He  NEVER has a coat or sweater on them. They are freezing it is below 30 degrees today. i live on a freezing cold windy hilltop.

Today i almost went to the door and handed him 2 little sweaters.

Should I mind my own business or what? 

It is heartbreaking.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma   I think you can feel sorry for them from a distance but he might not be amenable to your giving him something to clothe them.  I am sorry he is not sweatering them up.  Maybe he has not owned smaller pets in the past but rather some of the cold weather breeds.  My advice is to try to become his friend and then ask about their sweaters, in a friendly way, so that he is not resentful.  Perhaps he does not know.  He may have owned bigger dogs which love cold weather.  My chow and collie are hard to keep inside when it snows.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma   I have several fleece jackets for my French Bulldog.  She doesn't seem to mind the cold, though, so I haven't been putting them on her.  She goes out in the back yard by herself and stays for quite a while.  It's so cold out there, and she could come back in at any time.

I know it's distressing to see the poodles in this cold, but maybe it's not as hard on them as you think.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma 

That would bother me as well!

Personally, I would go over and say that you noticed his dogs don't have coats for the cold weather, but I have some sweaters that I don't need, that would probably fit them!

I think if you made the offer in a kind and friendly way, he wouldn't take offense.

He's just a man, he probably hasn't even thought about whether they need a sweater in the cold, LOL!

Men just don't have our motherly instinct!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Doggie sweaters help

[ Edited ]

Maybe if you have a chance to speak to him you could get on the topic of Christmas. Casually mention if he buys gifts for them, they'd  probably would love matching sweaters.  You can say....the weather sometimes gets so nasty this time of the year and they'd look so adorable dressed alike?   Don't know if you feel comfortable with this - just a gentle way to give him a hint?

Or, I guess you could mention you have some extra sweaters, and ask if he would like them for his little cuties.  You can say you don't have a need for the sweaters, as they are just some extras you have, and thought maybe his little ones would like them on some of those nasty winter days.

Trusted Contributor

As long as they seem happy walking I wouldn't worry about it. Some dogs love the cold and others hate it. They should be ok for a little while out there.

Also I've found some dogs hate coats or sweaters not only because they can just seem weird to them, but just like people they can get shocks when you take them off. And in some cases just the noise from that can freak them out. As long as you think they are well cared for I'd let it go.

Esteemed Contributor

Dogs adapt to weather changes.  They are out exercising so they are fine.  I have a short haired dog and when he is out running it could be sub zero and he wouldn't care. 

I would mind your own business. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma.  If you can talk to him, point out that poodles don't have the downy undercoat that many dogs have to keep them warm.  Most men would not be interested in knowing their dogs would look adorable so this isn't a good sales pitch for them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Dogs adapt to weather changes.  They are out exercising so they are fine.  I have a short haired dog and when he is out running it could be sub zero and he wouldn't care. 

@CrazyDaisy 

Not all dogs are alike, just like people.

My 90 lb. avatar has short hair and he wears a fleece lined jacket when he goes for walks in the winter, otherwise he shivers.

And we live in the deep south, where we never get really cold temps.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

Not all dogs are alike, just like people.

My 90 lb. avatar has short hair and he wears a fleece lined jacket when he goes for walks in the winter, otherwise he shivers.

And we live in the deep south, where we never get really cold temps.

Got a whippet/staffy mix that loves playing in snow in northeast Ohio.  As long as he is moving the cold does not bother him.  People tend to put human feelings on dogs, really a diservice to the dogs.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.