Valued Contributor

Can anyone tell me what in  peanut butter  is not good for dogs.

thanks for any help

Honored Contributor

I've never heard this.  My dog loves peanut butter and yes, he gets little tastes of it.  Could have sworn his vet clinic gives it to dogs as 'snack' food while getting through their exams.

I'm going to google this and check it out.  My dog has had no reaction of any sort to peanut butter and is  not alergic to peanuts either, nuts of any kind in fact.  He's had other nuts.

Honored Contributor

Just googled this.  Not much is really talked about other than it could be fattening due to sugars in it.  A sugar substitute called 'xylitol' is a bad sugar substitute and if in any peanut butters you buy, don't.

On the other hand, it's good for protein, omega3 fats which are good fats.

Certainly if  you have doubts and/or questions, google it and read up on it.

Honored Contributor

I usually make homemade treats for Anika and Alfie.  Sometimes I add one tablespoon of peanut butter (a minimal amount) to this recipe. 

Recipe – Alfie and Anika’s Dog Biscuits

1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour

¾ cup corn meal

½ cup powdered low-fat dry milk (may substitute regular milk)

½ cup oatmeal

½ teas. garlic powder (or less, or omit)

2 tbsp. parsley

2 to 3 tbsp. brown sugar

6 tbsp. Crisco (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp.)

1 egg (beaten)

½ cup ice water

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in Crisco. (If using regular milk add it at this point.) Mix ice water and egg and add to dry ingredients. Form dough into round balls about the size of a large walnut. Place in lightly greased cupcake tins (or on cookie sheet) and flatten with glass. Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

Serve to dogs as snacks or treats. Yummy, they love ‘em!

Yield: Apx. 24 large treats.  I pull them apart into small pieces when feeding dogs.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Be a label reader.  It is xylitol that's harmful.  It's an artificial sweetener that's sometimes added, although I haven't found it in the usual well-known brands.  If your brand of peanut butter doesn't contain it, it's a fine occasional treat for your dog.  

Honored Contributor

We gave our dogs peanut butter without any problems. They loved it. It was funny watching them licking away when you gave them a bit of it. I found this recipe online years ago. Can't remember if we made any changes or not. Our dogs loved these. I thought I heard not to give dogs garlic but I don't know why.

Alfie & Archies Dog Biscuits

2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 T brown sugar
1/2 c powdered dry milk
6 T meat drippings
1/2 t salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 t garlic
1/2 c ice water

Preheat oven to 350°
Lightly grease cookie sheet.
Combine dry ingredients, cut in meat drippings until mixture resembles corn meal.
Mix in egg. Add enough water until mixture forms a ball.
Pat dough out onto cookie sheet to 1/2" thick.
Cut with cookie cutter or knife.
Bake 25 mins.
Remove from cookie sheet & cool on rack.
Respected Contributor

Xylitol also goes by other names so you have to be careful and read label ingredients. Just because you don't see that word doesn't mean it isn't in there.  It's in so many things (gum is one), so please be careful when giving human food to your pets.

Honored Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

Xylitol also goes by other names so you have to be careful and read label ingredients. Just because you don't see that word doesn't mean it isn't in there.  It's in so many things (gum is one), so please be careful when giving human food to your pets.

@RainyDayGal  It would probably be helpful if you told us what the other names are.

Respected Contributor

We picked up these peanut butter pup treats at Costco (Amazon has them too) and our Silky terriers are crazy about them!

Honored Contributor

For the most part, I make my own but there are a few store bought minimal ingredient organic ones I will pick up from time to time. Every vet I know says Peanut butter is fine, in fact, they prefer you get a kong and put a little peanut butter in it than have your dog chew on hard bones (they crack their teeth). The only reason you shouldn't feed peanut butter to your dogs is if they are allergic to peanuts.You should always use natural peanut butter, meaning only peanuts- no added sugar, salt, etc  so no Skippy, Jif, etc..