Trusted Contributor

Re: Dog suddenly won’t eat, but not sick...

[ Edited ]

My 13 yr old dog did the same. I now cook for her. I make batches and put in freezer. She’s 30 lbs. at first I was giving her about 6 oz twice a day. Now I only give her one batch a day bc I leave her bowl with dry food and she eats that when she’s hungry. 

I take 3 lbs of ground turkey, I add 2 cups of cooked brown rice and add veggies like yams, and frozen veggies.  One cup per bag. I freeze,  once a day I put one in the refrigerator and when ready I nuke it for 30 seconds. 

Super Contributor

My black lab doesn't have much appetite after coming from the vet or when he is just out of sorts and pouty. It used to worry me at first but after I became aware that he was just mad because I didn't take him if I left for a few hours and that was his way of showing he was not happy with me.

I also wonder if age has something to do with it. We humans don't eat as much as we used to when we were younger so maybe the same is true for our furbabies.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla our husky does the same thing.  Wants what we are having for dinner and prefers to eat after we have eaten....LOL.  He has trained us well. 

Trusted Contributor

I had that happen to me and I thought the dog had suddenly become a picky eater.  It turned out later that the food was later recalled - clearly the dog knew something was bad about it and refused to eat it.  Unfortunately, I did not read those signs as wisdom on the dog's part - I just saw a picky eater.  Please trust your dog's instincts and switch food - to a different brand even - and see if the dog will eat.  Do not try to keep serving something the dog refuses...they are smart in ways we don't even know.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

I have German Shepherds and if they don't eat that means they are not feeling well. Dogs seem to have a sense about these things. I won't worry too much unless it continues. 

As for the medication, I spread out the heartguard and flea & tick medication. I never do it all on the same day.  I prefer alternating days. This year one of my dogs had a severe reaction to one of his vaccines at the vet's. He was really sick for about a week. Now he's fine.

I would give your fur baby pasta with a littl bit of butter on it to eat. That worked like a charm for my dogs and it was vet recommended. Hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor

If she stops eating for more than two days you should take her to the vet, although I suspect it was the tick and Heartguard medication given on the same day.  She may need a shot of Cerenia and some fluids.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for sharing experiences and knowledge!  I’m sure you are all right,  that this was probably triggered by giving the 2 meds on same day-  I had people coming over that night and didn’t want to forget... It was my bad!! 

I will try the suggestions, change up the food, and I like the homemade freezer dog food recipe! If it doesn’t improve, have her checked at the vet. Thank you and Best wishes fellow Pet Lovers!   ❣️Skye and her Mom~

Honored Contributor

I have one that seems to occasionally get bored with her kibble.  When she balks at eating, I give her a couple heaping tablespoons of plain, unsweetened yogurt on her food.  She wolfs that down.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

i think it may be the heat.This is a realy hot summer! Even if they are inside in the AC ,it is still uncomfortable. My Cozi is only eating half of what he normally eats.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it could be the heat with my older Jack Russell. He didn’t want breakfast several times , but wanted me to spoon feed him or add baby food. Could be because I was hurrying to walk my sons dog while he was away. It was a change in our routine. 

When I stopped feeding him rice checks and bread crust after my breakfast he started eating. 

He eats dinner well and wants more, doesn’t get table scraps. He loves his dog treats so I’ve limited those and he eats his food.