Respected Contributor

Dog suddenly won’t eat, but not sick...

My sweet girl suddenly has stopped eating her dry kibble. I feed her a mix of high quality food (I.e., Blue Wilderness, Pro Plan Savor, Merrick).  She seems totally fine, active, walks with us daily in the park.  The only thing that was a bit unusual a day before this started was I gave her the monthly tick prevention ( Simparica ) + Heartgard doses on the same day, when normally I give them separately.   She weighs 15 lbs and does get tiny table scraps, but we have cut that back so she will be hungry but She is still giving me the hairy eyeball When I put down the bowl of food ( the ears drop and she stares at me) ...  I’m reading it as “ Thats it? You’re kidding right?  Is she just being fussy? 

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated!  ❣️

Honored Contributor

Re: Dog suddenly won’t eat, but not sick...

@Skyegirl21 On occasion our small dog will not eat....there is no pattern to her refussal to eat!  It usually only lasts a day and she is back to eating.....now if the non eating went on for days then I would take her  to the vet.

Honored Contributor

Never give  heartworm medication,and tick at the same time,give several days apart ,at least.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@Skyegirl21 give her a few days.  If it doesn't improve I'd get to the vet. 

I totally agree with @goldensrbest - Never give Flea/tick & HW all same day.  A week apart is best. 

Valued Contributor

I definitely spread the Heartguard and Nexguard a week apart.  My baby girl is a beagle mix, fifteen years old and it affects her appetite.  She fluctuates between 16-19 pounds and is on appetite stimulants.  I agree that if it doesn't correct itself within a day or two you should them to the vet.  Good luck! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We have been dealing with our collie not eating for over a year. I used to sit on the floor and feed him by hand. But after several months he would just get up and walk away from me when I sat down.

Many people would say "He will eat when he is hungry". There are days that he will not eat. And we have bought about every dog food on the market from high end to middle grade. And right now we are giving him Merrick, Canidae, Natural Balance and Blue Buffalo. We used to put fresh chicken on top of the dog food to get him to check out the bowl. That no longer works.

We have found that he only wants to eat whatever we are eating. In the past month he ate stuffed green peppers and zucchini and spinach lasagna. If we are eating it, he will eat it. And this is a dog that would spit out a small piece of carrot that was ground up in his dog food.

So now, we buy him hamburger and cook it for him or we give him whatever we are eating (within reason). He used to like liverwurst but he isn't eating that now. We make sure he sees us eating before we give it to him. And we make sure he still gets his dog food too. Most of the time we end up throwing his dog food away.

We have taken him to the Vet. And they do tests and check him out. They haven't found anything wrong. So we are just driving ourselves crazy. And last year he spent a week with a wonderful family from Rover.com while we were on vacation. They were so upset that he wouldn't eat. And our vacation is coming up again. I am sure he won't eat for them again. 

He seems happy. His tail is wagging and he jumps up and down when you ask him if he wants to go for a car ride. And he seems fine otherwise. So we just drive ourselves crazy trying to make him eat.

Respected Contributor

There are many articles and videos about picky eaters.

This video  has an interesting theory:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHwPFhQQuhs

Question of the Week: How do I get my picky dog to eat?”

Regular Contributor

How are her teeth? If something is bothering her in her mouth she might not want to eat the dry kibble. 

Honored Contributor

Also -

We also tried feeding our dog later in the day. Instead of feeding him at 6 AM and 6 PM, We started to feed him at noon. And I think it worked one day. He actually ate his food at noon but the next day, he could care less.

Then we tried feeding him once a day. I figured that was better than him not eating at all. But it didn't seem to matter.

He never was an enthusiastic eater. He was 6 years old when we got him. He was one of 10 collies. And he was one of the youngest collies. I just can't help but wonder in the pecking order of the group, since he was one of the youngest that he only got what he could when he was feed.

Valued Contributor

I never knew that. Thank you!