Honored Contributor

Our dog scratches.....there are NO hot or raw spots on her skin.....it is not excessive but for some reason it drives my DH nuts.  I did ask the vet about it and he was not concerned but I read on an old thread that a poster (I think @puglet11) gave her dog coconut oil massages!

I could do that but wouldn't the oil get on the furniture...of course I know not to over do the oil but still, I am afraid of getting the product on my furniture, I was wondering if I could add the coconut oil to her food, any thoughts?

Contributor

I give my chocolate Lab coconut oil in her food each day, it has really helped with her dry skin issues.  I also went to grain free food which has helped as well. 

Respected Contributor

Thats what I have to do for our goldendoodle over the winter. It was like a solid cream in a jar and would mix in about a tablespoon into his dry food. He seems to like it, no problem eating it and not messy like an oil would be. It did help him. I would give it a try. 

Honored Contributor

Same thing!!  

Coconut oil oil in food, num,num,nummy!

Suggestion, start with tiny amount and build up.

My itchy 100 lb Lab got 1t in AM & 1t in PM.

Good luck,

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Same here.  I add coconut oil to our Golden's breakfast each day!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

Vets can be so dumb - your dog can't be the first one ever that has dry skin....but yet they have no idea for a solution.  Lost faith in them after my sick dog.  That being said - check for a medicated shampoo - when our dog was just a pup - unbelievable dry skin - special suds stopped the discomfort.  Yes, some oil in the food daily - teaspoon or bottle cap quantity.  Your dog is telling you something.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you feed him/her just dry dog food?    I fed both dry and can meat with gravy.  That's always a hit!

Honored Contributor

We give her wet and dry in the morning and then dry at night. I am going to try the coconut oil in her food, thanks everyone!!

Esteemed Contributor

I know nothing about coconut oil.  I bought special capsule for dogs from drs. foster and smith.....and cut the capsule and mixed the oil with her can food. There was also a hard pill form but she refused to eat her dinner when I broke it up in food.  After several years she also refused her dinner with the oil - could smell it or knew it was upsetting her tummy.  Dogs are smart!

Just Google drs. foster and smith

Trusted Contributor

6746040B-5F0B-43AE-A94F-68D1A5D90240.jpegHi, @Mom2Dogs!  My little Westie, Auggie, has had issues with scratching/ear infections/chewing paws, and I was just informed by the vet that he was allergic and ear infections, his issue 3 times in the last 6 weeks, are a symptom.  He is now on a hypoallergenic diet and, in two days, no more scratching, chewing paws, etc.  He even likes the food, a hydrolized protein diet (a blessing!).  In all fairness, we moved to NV a year ago from Hawaii and his diet changed as his regular food was not readily available; we were feeding him Blue Buffalo since we’ve been here.  He also lost his partner that he’d had his whole life shortly before we moved and I think he’s got a bit of anxiety on top of everything.  Unfortunately, the new “treats” don’t hold a candle to the ones he really likes (Beggin Strips).  I’ve not tried coconut oil but wanted to let you know the scratching could be diet-related.