Frequent Contributor

My doggies r family,we walk almost everyday!! Buzz and Dudley greet me everyday when i get home from work!!! I sure hope u do something about this ,Seanie!!.Maybe u can adopt the doggie!!

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

@Seannie 

This is terribly sad.  You've seen it, so now it is your responsibility to report it.  PLEASE don't look the other way.

And about the mention of dogs being chained to doghouses.  This is commonplace in some areas?   So horrible.  People that do that are the ones who should be chained up.

😥😓😓😭

@PhilaLady1    It's so commonplace in some areas that municipalities have made the practice illegal.  At least in my area, the dogs are usually pitbulls.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Dog lives in garage

[ Edited ]

Just because the dog wasn't inside the house does not mean this dog isn't receiving proper care.  

And just because a dog is tied up outside does not mean it is not loved, or receiving proper care.  It may not be the same pampered way you take care of your dog, but it's not necessarily wrong.   

The 10 year old GS we had to put down in March is a good example.  The breeder sold him at 8 weeks old to a single woman, over 55, who wanted a big dog for protection.  Said woman lived in a mobile home in a park.  This beautiful dog that "she loved so much" was a major pain by 18 months.  He had destroyed her home and most of her furniture because he was bored inside the house.  Because of the damage he'd done inside, she began to tie him up outside, and of course he barked at absolutely everything.  When she was threatened with eviction, she reached out to the breeder, who essentially repossessed the dog.   

Outside of being house trained, all this dog seemed to know was to hug, fetch a ball, wear sweaters, jackets, boots, and pose for a camera.  The dog was a neurotic mess, and when the breeder took him to her vet, he shook his head over the dog, suggested Prozac, and rehoming to a rural setting where he could be outside.  We drove 100 miles round trip to see this dog, but only after the breeder was fully convinced of our rural setting, no small children in the home, and the dog would be living outside.   

This dog lived in our garage for 3 months last summer and the summer before because of hot spots on his neck from his collar.  The windows were open in the garage and a huge box fan was running inside when it was hot; he was outside with my husband often, and could be trusted to stay on the front porch when we were here.   

A woman ruined this beautiful dog by her method of "caring" for him.  He was a handful for 2+ weeks until the new routine kicked in, but from the time he got here until the day we had to end his suffering, he loved being outside!  We never medicated him; neutering calmed him down a lot and he bonded with, and shared the back yard with our other dog for 10 years.   However, he was still a barker up until his last day with us; butterfly, bird, worm, leaf, anything that moved made him bark!   

Honored Contributor

I know a man who owns two labs which he uses for hunting. The dogs are kept in outdoor kennels with lots of space to run. The dogs have houses there and are cared for very well. He takes them for walks and out in the field to run free. The only time the dogs are allowed to come inside is when the weather becomes unbearable for them to be outside. His dogs are not house pets. He treats them more like a person would treat a horse. He loves his dogs very much.

Valued Contributor

I would speak up if you can.  This is so sad.  I will never understand how people do not understand that dogs are pack animals and deserve to be part of the family, not just an object to relegate to wherever away from the family.  There is not enough mental stimulation in a garage for a dog, let alone any animal.  Plus, garages get sweltering in the Summer and freezing in Winter.  Shame on them.  

Honored Contributor

@Seannie 

That is heartbreaking, not to mention animal abuse.  If my relative did that, I would give him/her a piece of my mind and take the pet away.  Yes...I would.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

In our county...........which is rural............as long as the dog has food, water and shelter they are not considered neglected.  So even though I don't like seeing all those dogs on chains, it's not necessary illegal. 

Respected Contributor

@Seannie wrote:

Hi all,

Visited a relative in a rural area and was shocked to see their dog is always kept in the garage.  It lays in a pet bed and has water.  This is a 50 year old couple with teenagers. Maybe I'm imagining but the dog looked so sad.  I found myself speechless during the visit and can't seem to unsee what I saw.

Have any of you seen pets kept like this?  Or is this normal and I"m way too sensitive?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Seannie

Their dog is lucky, most people have their dogs tied to a dog house outside. Most people don't live with their dogs in the house, and sleep with them, and etc.I don't have an animal, but have relatives who sleep with their dogs, unbelievable to me. 

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@Seannie wrote:

Hi all,

Visited a relative in a rural area and was shocked to see their dog is always kept in the garage.  It lays in a pet bed and has water.  This is a 50 year old couple with teenagers. Maybe I'm imagining but the dog looked so sad.  I found myself speechless during the visit and can't seem to unsee what I saw.

Have any of you seen pets kept like this?  Or is this normal and I"m way too sensitive?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Seannie

Their dog is lucky, most people have their dogs tied to a dog house outside. Most people don't live with their dogs in the house, and sleep with them, and etc.I don't have an animal, but have relatives who sleep with their dogs, unbelievable to me. 

Seriously???!?!  I don't know where you live but that cannot be true.  And you act like treating dogs like family is strange.  It's not!  I don't have a pet right now but when I did, they always slept in the room with me, if not IN the same bed.  That is NOT unusual!

Honored Contributor

I was taught to respect the animals we raised on our farm, but they were not pets.  

My daughters have owned several dogs thru the years; we taught them to show the dogs love and respect thru the way they cared for the dog, as well as a kind touch and firm voice.

We never tried to humanize our dogs, which is exactly what was wrong with the GS I referred to in my long post.  Once he came here, he lived like a dog and a happy one at that.  

Our dogs use their dog houses as a shelter from rain, and would settle into the thick straw in bitter cold, but most of the time they were asleep on leaves in the snow.  Being inside the house was not where our 2 dogs ever wanted to be.