Regular Contributor

Hi all,

Visited a relative in a rural area and was shocked to see their dog is always kept in the garage.  It lays in a pet bed and has water.  This is a 50 year old couple with teenagers. Maybe I'm imagining but the dog looked so sad.  I found myself speechless during the visit and can't seem to unsee what I saw.

Have any of you seen pets kept like this?  Or is this normal and I"m way too sensitive?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Seannie

Respected Contributor

That is very sad.  I wonder what their reason is for keeping it out there.  What's the point in even having a dog?  

Regular Contributor

How sad is this. This is NOT normal. Why have a "pet" if not to have them be part of the family. The only difference between this and a "pet" that lives outdoors is the garage door. These people have no business having a "pet".   

Respected Contributor

It is sad.  Does it get walked? I'm assuming they don't want it pooping in the garage. 

I live in rural NC and so many dogs are kept chained to doghouses outside (mostly Pitts, but I've even seen a chihuahua on the route we take to town on a chain/doghouse. And many still run loose on less traveled roads. 

There is a charlity in Charlotte, about an hour away, that will go out and install fenced kennels for the chained dogs. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Seannie , did you speak up?

Sounds like abuse to me.....

Honored Contributor

Re: Dog lives in garage

[ Edited ]

My uninsulated attached garage gets unbearably hot in summer, cold in winter. I hope this poor dog lives in a nicer garage.  Does the dog go outside?  Do they seem to care about it?   You left out a lot of information.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Does the dog stay in the yard in the day?  Or the house?

Regular Contributor

OP here.  I did mention it to the teenagers' grandma on the phone.  She said her kids were encouraging her to get a dog and I said "Don't keep it in the garage like your son." She was silent after that so clearly I got through.

I think the dog gets to go in the yard sometimes.  Otherwise I think the only time the dog gets any stimuli is when the family goes hunting.  

The garage may be heated as it has seven stalls for the dad's trucks for his business.

I am sorry I didn't say anything at the time, but this family had dozens of animal heads hanging on the wall so I was a little afraid of them.

Seannie (the sensitive)

Honored Contributor

@Seannie 

If you don't report this to animal control or whatever agency exists in your area for animal welfare....SHAME ON YOU!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Seannie 

This is terribly sad.  You've seen it, so now it is your responsibility to report it.  PLEASE don't look the other way.

And about the mention of dogs being chained to doghouses.  This is commonplace in some areas?   So horrible.  People that do that are the ones who should be chained up.

😥😓😓😭