Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

kinda O/T but just came across this sweet-faced cutie:

Image result for border collie in clothes

I like this doggy's style.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla.  Your collie may like to be outside because he gets hot in the house.  Mine would lie outside at night when it was snowing and I'd have to MAKE him come in.  Those collie coats were designed to keep them warm.

Piper is a real little toot.  He ran out the front door as I was struggling to get myself and packages inside this week.  He went about two houses down and ignored my promises of a treat if he'd come back.  Suddenly he comes running back home on 3 legs as fast as 3 legs would take him.  He'd gotten a burr in his paw and needed to have mama take it out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Dog likes the cold

[ Edited ]

@brewhaha@feline groovy  All the border collies I know wear western wear.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Collies are working dogs.  Maybe if you found a dog athletic facility near you it would satisfy the need for a job, pleasing you, and tire him out.   Another suggestion is to teach him tricks, particularly fetch type tricks.   This would serve his need for human interaction and to please you while keeping him busy.

I rescued a 9 yr old dog who refused to eat any type of dog food.   Seems she was hand fed people food by her 80 yr old mom.    I cooked for her.   Maybe he was fed people scraps.    

I would try an animal communicator to learn the real reason for his behavior and eating habits.   Val Heart and Cindy Brody (both on the web) are excellent.   Cindy told me about my dog's eating habits and life with her previous mom.   All her actions made perfect sense then.

Honored Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

Collies are working dogs.  Maybe if you found a dog athletic facility near you it would satisfy the need for a job, pleasing you, and tire him out.   Another suggestion is to teach him tricks, particularly fetch type tricks.   This would serve his need for human interaction and to please you while keeping him busy.

I rescued a 9 yr old dog who refused to eat any type of dog food.   Seems she was hand fed people food by her 80 yr old mom.    I cooked for her.   Maybe he was fed people scraps.    

I would try an animal communicator to learn the real reason for his behavior and eating habits.   Val Heart and Cindy Brody (both on the web) are excellent.   Cindy told me about my dog's eating habits and life with her previous mom.   All her actions made perfect sense then.

It is sad, he was not socialized at all. He will not pick up a ball, or hold a stick or play any games. We have tried. We thought we could get him to play but even after 3 years, he has no interest, in playing or fetching.

My husband is a runner and tried to have the dog run with him. The dog does for 20 feet and then stops. And when we do take him out, he prefers to just sit and watch cars and people go by. So my husband takes him everyday to one of our 4 neighborhood parks for at least a 3 - 4 mile walk. 

And as for people food, it gives him the runs.  He is not much of an eater. He still has not eaten his breakfast and won't even sniff it. He was one of 10 collies and the owner got cancer and was declining in health. His wife was overwhelmed between him and the dogs. So that is why her daughter-in-law insisted they surrender the dogs to Collie Rescue.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@drizzellla.  Your collie may like to be outside because he gets hot in the house.  Mine would lie outside at night when it was snowing and I'd have to MAKE him come in.  Those collie coats were designed to keep them warm.

Piper is a real little toot.  He ran out the front door as I was struggling to get myself and packages inside this week.  He went about two houses down and ignored my promises of a treat if he'd come back.  Suddenly he comes running back home on 3 legs as fast as 3 legs would take him.  He'd gotten a burr in his paw and needed to have mama take it out.

Yes, collies coats are designed to keep them warm - except our collie. Our dog is allergic to fleas. And before we got him, he had fleas. He bit at the fleas quite a bit. So he has no undercoat in his hind quarters. That is where he could reach to bite at the fleas. 

Trusted Contributor

Your dog does have unusual habits.   He must have been so isolated, looking at the world go by.   But he seems invested in your husband.   

I was referring to work type tricks like bringing him an object or carrying something.   And have you tried a dog park?   Maybe he needs comraderie.   I would still suggest agility work.

When I adopted my dog she would NEVER play with a toy, just didn't know what to do with them.   I found that only hand puppets worked, for her.   I guess being around an 80 yr old woman did not involve playing.   She loved people and children.   She was walked by a playground daily.   I used to take her on trips to the library and stores to see and interact with people.   She also loved car rides.   

Honored Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

Your dog does have unusual habits.   He must have been so isolated, looking at the world go by.   But he seems invested in your husband.   

I was referring to work type tricks like bringing him an object or carrying something.   And have you tried a dog park?   Maybe he needs comraderie.   I would still suggest agility work.

When I adopted my dog she would NEVER play with a toy, just didn't know what to do with them.   I found that only hand puppets worked, for her.   I guess being around an 80 yr old woman did not involve playing.   She loved people and children.   She was walked by a playground daily.   I used to take her on trips to the library and stores to see and interact with people.   She also loved car rides.   

We did look into a dog park. Collie Rescue has a picnic every year. And all collies that have been adopted through Collie Rescue are invited. We have gone every year since we got him (3). And every year at least one of his relatives from the breeder are there. He will sniff the dog and walk away. He shows no interest in hanging out with the dog or catching up on news with the other dog.

In fact at the picnic he is only interested in going home. He is not interested in any of the dogs. He just follows my husbands every move.

He has some stuffed toys. They are still in pristine condition, we got them when we got him. He has no interest in the stuffed animals.

One of the Vets thought he was kept in a cage. His nose has a big scar across the top of the nose. She thought it was from him trying to get out of the cage. His jaw also is worn away in two spots, from trying to get out of the cage. And judging from the jaw, he was chewing on the cage for quite awhile.

So we are not sure how much he interacted with the other dogs at the breeder. But he doesn't seem to care for their company. My brother had a collie, that he brought for visits. My brothers dog was VERY SOCIAL. And they got along but my brothers dog would always go up to everyone and say Hi. And my dog just stood back and watched. It was fun for my brother's dog, not mine.

Last night was rough. The Eagles won a big game. So there were fireworks and noise outside. My dog spent his time under the dining room table. And then slept next to me much of the night. Noises upset him. 

He was never in a car. And now he loves car rides. And we take him to Pet Fairs and different events. But he prefers to just go back into the car. Even in walks in the park. He will walk but he will make a beeline back to the car.

We try and let him set his comfort level. We try and enlarge his scope but he doesn't seem to care to go very far. And he can be stubborn so he lets you know if he reached his limit.

PS  - He would not eat his breakfast yesterday or his dinner. I had to handfeed him both meals. Go figure.

Esteemed Contributor

Many dogs just enjoy being outside.  If the only time he gets to go outside is on walks, he will ask for lots of walks.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

We have a friend who is a vet; he says when the wind chill is below 32 bring in the dog....we have had some especially frigid weather the past couple of weeks and I heard of a few dogs freezing to death when their owners left them out all night. My uncle has a malamute and that dog absolutely would prefer to lay out in the snow than be inside by the fire, but he sleeps inside on cold nights anyway.