Honored Contributor

I want to know. My dog likes to go outside - cold or hot. So my husband takes him for no less than 10 - 15 walks a day. Some are 3 miles and some are just up a few houses. Sometimes even if it is cold my dog likes to sit in the snow, or just stand outside. He is a collie and we have two coats for him. A fleece coat and a waterproof coat.

The cold doesn't seem to bother him one way or another. But he parks himself in front of our gas thermostat controlled fireplace. When the fireplace is on, it is quite toasty in front of the fireplace. So I don't get it. He will fight you sometimes because he doesn't want to go back into the house, he would rather stand in the cold outside. But when he is in the house he parks himself in the hottest place in the house.

I don't get it.

Valued Contributor

I don’t either, @drizzellla, but this reminds me of a song on Sesame Street from many years ago. 

In and out.  In and out. 

Thats what

a dog

is all about. 

He can’t decide. 

He’s filled with doubt. 

First he wants in, and then he wants out!

So true. 

Honored Contributor

Ruby Laine

That is him! The dog will just stand and stare at my husband. So my husband takes him out for a walk. Sometimes, the dog does nothing except stand in the driveway. Here it is 9:22 and the dog has already been on 3 walks. 

Good thing we like this guy. 

Trusted Contributor

@Ruby Laine  thats cute and so true!  But it also applies to cats.  At least it does for my 2 cats.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624... and .@colliemom4..

Honored Contributor

kinda O/T but just came across this sweet-faced cutie:

Image result for border collie in clothes

Honored Contributor

My dog is all over the place also but seems to enjoy cooler areas. We have snow yet she wants to stay indoors. Probably doesn't want to miss anything lol.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Ruby Laine

That is him! The dog will just stand and stare at my husband. So my husband takes him out for a walk. Sometimes, the dog does nothing except stand in the driveway. Here it is 9:22 and the dog has already been on 3 walks. 

Good thing we like this guy. 

@drizzelllaAre there by chance treats involved in coming back from these walks?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Kachina624 wrote:

@drizzellaAre there by chance treats involved in coming back from these walks?

Only after his last walk of the day. 

Food does not motivate this guy. In fact last night he would not eat his dinner. I had to hand feed him. It is common for him to not eat. And he will eat everything for days and then not eat. We have tried just about every brand of dog food and he will eat it sometimes and not eat it sometimes.

We took him for a long walk yesterday. We wanted to see the ice on the Delaware River. So in addition to all his walks in the neighborhood we took him for a walk along the Delaware. So he burns calories.

He was a rescue. We got him when he was 7. We suspect he spent his time in a barn or outside. He was one of 10 collies from a "backyard bredder". One of the other collies is still not "housetrained".  We have had our guy for 3 years. When Collie Rescue went to see and pick up the dogs that is where they all were, in the barn.

So we are guessing that is why he likes to be outside. But it is funny - you have to be with him at all times. If we put him in the backyard. He will just stand at the door and wait for you to come out and sit with him or if you don't go out, he will go in the house.

So he prefers to go out in the front yard. The front yard is not fenced in, so he knows you are going to stay with him the entire time.

Honored Contributor

Kachina624

How is Piper doing?