Valued Contributor

Dog fostering - materials needed ?

Any suggestions on what to have on hand for dog fostering?  We would not necessarily know the size of the dog so I don't know how that factors into the leash.  Are they adjustable?

And, we do have a metal large crate (in case needed).

I figure a water and food bowl, of course.  But, I wanted to ask for suggestions to make sure we have things on hand that would be helpful.

Thanks!

P.S. - I posted a thread on dogs/apartments recently, and the replies were all very helpful.  Much appreciation to all that replied.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dog fostering - materials needed ?

[ Edited ]

It's admirable of you to do this.  You will get a lot of pleasure out of it, and are doing a wonderful thing for the dogs.  Here are some things that immediately come to mind.  A large crate isn't really going to help you if you foster a small dog.  You will definitely need a crate at least until you know the dog is housetrained.  The dog needs to be able to stand up and turn around in the crate but not move around to the other side to potty.  I think you will need to specify the size dog you want to foster and buy the appropriate sized crate.  That's very important.  You would need three or four different sized crates to accommodate each sized dog, so that wouldn't really work.

Do not use a flexi-lead.  You don't have enough control over a dog with a flexi-lead.  Some of the hardware on leashes for large dogs would be too heavy to use for small dogs.  You will have to buy the appropriate sized collar for each dog.  I would also have a generic tag for each collar that has both of your phone numbers on it.  Maybe it could even say foster dog.  When I was fostering I had a tag like this.  

You will, of course, need food, and that also can be different sized morsels for different sized dogs.  You obviously wouldn't buy that until you knew you were getting a dog though.  Even the food and water bowls would be different sized for different sized dogs.  You will need heartworm meds, which the foster group will either give you or you will get at your initial Vet visit.  You will be reimbursed for this.  Depending on your need, you might need flea and tick meds.  Heartworm meds and flea & tick meds are given to the adopting family.  

When I fostered I paid for the Vet visits and was reimbursed.  Maybe some Rescue groups pay the Vet directly, but the one I worked with did not.  The Vet would have to agree to this, too.

Fostering can be very rewarding.  I've done it many times.  It's hard to give them up sometimes, though.  I ended up adopting three of mine.  Two of them came together and were my first fosters.  The other was my last foster, and I just fell in love with her.

There are other things you'll need.  If I think of anything else I'll post again.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

You should contact the group you are fostering for....they will probably have a list of things you should have. They might even have crates and leashes on hand for specific size dogs also. I've always wanted to foster, but my family was against it, because they said it would be too hard to give the dog to it's new family. I applaud what you are doing. The world needs more unselfish people like you! Way to go!

Esteemed Contributor

Every rescue group is different, suggest you work with them to see what they provide and what they do not.  

Good luck withbyour foster

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

The first thing I would purchase is something to clean and deodorize urine smell.  Most dogs even if housetrained get anxious and have a accident or two in a new home.

Honored Contributor

As tarerye mentioned - each rescue group is different. When we got our rescue dog they gave us toys, leash, food, towels and I forgot what else. 

If you are fostering, I bet they might give you everything you will need. Please talk to the rescue group before you go out and spend money on stuff.

We have donated many dog items to rescue groups. Please don't start buying things until you find out if you will need anything.

Honored Contributor

The single most important thing you need is a tag for the dog with your phone number.  So often rescues are in a panic, escape and of course cant find their way back.  Some are escape artists which is why they're in rescue.  Put the tag on the dog the minute it's turned over to you.

Expect the dog to have "issues".  You won't get a perfect pet ready for adoption.....I could write a book; I had one make a flying leap from the front door and in two strides was on the sofa, I had one that absolutely refused to walk on any untextured floor, no vinyl, painted cement or ceramic tile.  There was one that refused to step over the speed bump in front of Petsmart, one got a hold of my neighbor's cat and injured it badly.  If the dog is large, it won't jump into your car so youll have to figure out how to get it in.  Do not leave the dog uncrated alone in your house; he could suffer from separation anxiety and tear your house apart.  It probably will have no manners and, if tall enough, will steal food off counters and out of garbage cans.  It will probably be smelly and need a bath immediately.  Hopefully it'll be beyond the chewing stage, if not, youll have another set of problems.

Fostering is not an easy job but can be very rewarding.  Let us know how it goes.  Good luck.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I flunked fostering with my very first fosterWoman LOL!

Although I just thought I was his third foster and he'd once well would find a loving family, Eddy immediately knew this was gonna be his forever home.  It took me about a month to realize it.  So, be prepared, just when you're planning not to give your heart to another furbaby, it could happen to you, tooHeart!

A supply of Pupperoni, Beggin's and balls will always be most appreciated, I'm sure.

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much, everybody, for not only the encouragment, but also the great helpful details regarding fostering.

Please know I appreciate your help.  And, know you're helping the future foster, too. (by helping me be better at it)

MANY THANKS!!!!

Valued Contributor

Go to the Goodwill or Salvation Army and purchase towels for bedding.  They can be bleached and will last. 

I also bought a ton of fluffy baby comforters.  Also bleachable.(Extras of these I donated to shelters.)

I took in a Great Dane and had a custom cage pillow made. 

He was on his 3rd home and was upset.  The pillow lasted one day.  Once he relaxed he was perfect.

I also had a Boston that was unneutered and 3 yrs old.  It took about 4 cages to find one that would hold him and my fence had to be secured at the bottom as he was a runner.  Once he was neutered (takes awhile) and relaxed he was also perfect. You just never know.

Best wishes and thank-you for caring for those that need a home.