Esteemed Contributor

Dog boots for cold weather....

We have had a long stretch of bitter cold weather and I am considering trying doggie boots for my little Maltese.

Is there a way to help a dog get used to them?

Respected Contributor

Re: Dog boots for cold weather....

I gave up on boots because they were such a nuisance to get on my Toy Aussie's paws. Then she would not walk in them. I use Paw Protector from Petsmart to help prevent from the salt on the roads. We both are going goofy though with no walks for days. We have had so much snow and very slippery walking on the hills around here. Maybe someone will have a suggestion for you.

Esteemed Contributor

I asked a neighbor that same question a week ago.  He has a big Husky looking 15 year old - and at my mailbox I noticed the dog's booties.  I was (frankly) shocked.  Owner said they were having to stop during their (many many per day) walks to remove snow and ice from dog's paws.  These 'socks were the second pair he tried with success - first pair were too large and kept falling off.  I asked your question - apparently dog prefers the socks instead of ice in between his pads.  So It's all about getting use to them and what your dog will tolerate.

Honored Contributor

My dogs don’t like them and try to remove  them.  I sometimes take masking tape and go around the booties a few times at their ankles to make them tight so they can’t be removed.

Then they stand there and refuse to walk.  When I tug at the leash and encourage them to walk, they walk funny.  Clearly, they do not like the boots.

I have long hair dogs with very hairy feet.  This year, our streets have been overloaded with rock salt.  My dogs walk twice a day.  I have been just wearing my snow boots and walking through the snowy grass with them to avoid the salt.  When we get home I have to shampoo their feet to get the mud, dirt and salt off.  I also cut the hair around their feet shorter so it doesn’t drag on the ground.

I suppose if they are comfortable and the dog gets used to them, you’re in luck. If not, you have to just do the best you can.

Respected Contributor

Mushers secret is great for the foot pads to protect from all the salt.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have GSD's and a husky so they don't have a problem with the ice and snow. I had smaller dogs when I was young and I would use baby booties on their paws on the "blizzard" days.  They just needed something to keep out the shock of cold so they could do their business.  I just wanted to mention this because it is a cheaper way to find out if your dog will keep them on his feet.    

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I, also, use Musher's Secret on my dog's paws.    Keeping the hair cut around and under the paws is a must, and you do need to remove it when you come back in the house.  

Super Contributor

I bought PAWZ from amazon. They look like balloons, very lightweight. They are reusable and disposable 

Honored Contributor

Image result for gif dog boots

Image result for gif cat boots

Honored Contributor

I see there are advantages to living in snowless New  Mexico.  I have a dog door and my three are out and in as they wish a hundred times a day.  They've been busy today and are now napping.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment