Honored Contributor

Re: Dog Teeth Cleaning by Vet. Yes or No?

[ Edited ]

My dogs teeth stay naturally clean due to their prey model raw diet. I've had vets comment asking how are their teeth so clean. So no mine don't get them cleaned at the vet. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

My vet will not put any pet over 5 years old under general anesthesia without doing blood work first. I believe if I can afford the 85 dollars to have my pets teeth cleaned, I can go the extra 35 for blood work. Even if the pet dies under anesthesia I know I have done right by my pet by getting the blood work done to qualify his health. I rescued an old beagle in horrendous condition and had her teeth worked on. I remember he removed 5 teeth and cleaned the rest of the teeth the best he could, she was at least 10 years old and she came through it fine.

@blackhole99  You only pay $85 for teeth cleaning under anesthesia?  The last time I had my dog's teeth cleaned it was over $500.  The blood work is at least $85.  The anesthesia charge was over $85.

I pay $120 for bloodwork.  I'm in California.  $35 is a steal as is the $85 for teeth cleaning which goes for about $200. 

Honored Contributor

My dog's teeth are horrible.  I'm not sure what happened with them as she was a rescue but was young when we got her.  However, her teeth wer already full of plaque build-up and tartar.  One of her K-9 teeth was broken to a little nub.

My vet always runs a special in February for 10% off dental work because it's national clean teeth month or something or other.  LOL  Even with the discount, it's over $300.00 for her to get her teeth cleaned.

Now we discovered what we believe to be an epulus that needs to be removed.      

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

My dog's teeth are horrible.  I'm not sure what happened with them as she was a rescue but was young when we got her.  However, her teeth wer already full of plaque build-up and tartar.  One of her K-9 teeth was broken to a little nub.

My vet always runs a special in February for 10% off dental work because it's national clean teeth month or something or other.  LOL  Even with the discount, it's over $300.00 for her to get her teeth cleaned.

@Lipstickdiva  You are going to have the epulus removed now, aren't you?  If you wait the Vet may have to cut down to the bone, and your dog may need to have more extensive surgery.  I'm sure you already know this but wanted to make sure.  I hope it's not anything serious.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva  You are going to have the epulus removed now, aren't you?  If you wait the Vet may have to cut down to the bone, and your dog may need to have more extensive surgery.  I'm sure you already know this but wanted to make sure.  I hope it's not anything serious.

@Lipstickdiva I agree with NickNack. My doggy had a growth recently taken out and she sadly had to have some of her jaw removed. Vets will do this as a preventative measure, as they want "clean margins" with no remaining cells of the growth. The sooner you can get it out, the better, because even the benign ones can make a mess of teeth and the jaw area. Sorry if I'm sounding apocalyptic, but some of these *meep meeps* grow fast.

*major spelling edit - made up a word in my first post!!

Contributor

My dog just had his teeth cleaned today under anesthesia, and he is fine.  He is a little woozy but will be ok in a day or so.  I would not skip it since you cannot tell when they have an issue, and cleaning will catch problems you don't see.  

My little dog had to get some teeth pulled when he got his cleaned, and I had no idea there was any trouble.  He came through fine after some time on meds and soft food.  

My my dogs are about 8 years old.

Honored Contributor

I have mixed feelings about this.  Our dog's teeth are in good condition.  We feed him grain free Greenies throughout the year.  His teeth look pretty clean to me and his breath isn't offensive.  We did have his teeth cleaned 2-3 years ago and he did fine.  I do believe good dental hygiene is a smart thing to do but don't know that it's got to be done every year though.  I just don't want to put our dog under anesthesia every year. Our country vet is very reasonable in her prices.  The whole thing (blood work, anesthesia, and clean & polish) was about $125.